Looking for AGP winter Pool Cover considering micro mesh. Any experiences?

Jul 3, 2016
Delphos, OH
As the title suggests, I'm looking for a new winter cover. My old one was done in last year from wind and rubbing. I'm considering a micro mesh that allows rain and melted snow to go into the pool. Some threads I have read say that the micro mesh allows more dirt into the pool and others that the pool when opened is green. I monitor my pool and open it early so that water temps are lower and less likely to let algae grow. But does anyone have any experience with the micromesh covers? I think some of the threads I viewed the pools were in ground mentioning debris getting in around the edges while others were mistaking leaf nets for mesh covers. The pool store recommended a mesh cover saying it works well in NW OH climates.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Found this cover about two years ago and took a chance. Best cover we ever owned. Here is the link Yard Guard Ultimate Winter Cover 21' Round. HPI UPC21R. Above Ground Pool Winter Cover.. I believe it is made in Canada and Sunplay was the only place I could find it in the U.S. It takes some effort at the initial install because of the rings that go on the uprights, but they are very durable and have held up great so far. One thing we like is the way the cover stays in place when the wind blows and keeps dirt and such out of the pool all winter. The mesh screen which runs down the middle of the cover allows water to drain into the pool while keeping the rubbish out. Hope this helps. In Canada it is called" The Eliminator Cover".

I have seen that style too which is making my decision all the more difficult. It appears to use rubber straps to secure it to the wall and keep it tight. You're in IL so I would think you get about the same snow as we do or a little more possibly. Any problems with snow load?

That bothered me too at first, but we had quite a bit of snow last winter and it worked fine. The rubber straps stretch enough to keep the cover in place. I forgot to mention that the first time we installed it we noticed a flaw in one of the stitches. We took pictures and sent them to Sunplay. A few days later they said after contacting the manufacture it appeared to be a defect and they sent us a brand new cover, no charge. We still use the first one which has held up fine but if it ever rips apart we have a new one to replace it. Great customer service.

I may have a pic from last winter if I can find it I'll post it.

Thanks. It looks like it holds up well! I suppose the only concern would be the loops or rubber straps getting brittle. I'll have to take a better look at these. My only problem is, they're almost double what a conventional micro weave would be. I'm curious, do you not drain below the water inlet? Based on the pic you posted it would appear you do not.

The loops are just as good as the day we installed them. The straps remain soft and flex easily. The cost is double a regular cover but we were buying one every 2 or 3 years because the wing and snow just destroyed them, plus all the dirt and stuff that came into the pool. We do drain below the skimmer and eyeball return. The picture was taken March 2 so a lot of rain and snow had fallen by then. The moisture had gone through the mesh strip in the middle, and raised the water level. We don't plug the skimmer so the water drains out.
When we open the pool we fill it up, vacuum the small dirt particles that drained through the mesh strip and good to go. Its worked well for us so far.

I still haven't bought a cover and I'm hoping someone with a micro mesh will chime in. I'm thinking of buying a micro mesh and then simply using a tie down system similar to the "Ultimate Cover" but I'm just not sure how quickly a micro mesh allows water to drain off. Any input would be appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.