Now Polaris booster pump died...

MCan56

Mar 25, 2013
Shawnee OK
As documented here, my main pump died, so I replaced it with a dual-speed. The Polaris 380 seemed to be working ok with the main pump on low speed, so I left it that way for the past few days. I checked it this morning, and the pool was extra dirty (we have tons of trees, and it's that time of year...), so I manually flipped the main pump to high and turned on the timer. No booster pump. No whining, no nothing. Sigh. It was purchased March of 2015. Is there anything I should check to see if I can get by with repair vs replacement?

I doubled checked the circuit breaker, it's fine, as is the pool light. The booster pump and light are both downstream of a GFCI outlet, which I had to replace after the main pump died. (I think I took a power hit, which knocked the main pump and GFCI outlet out) The booster pump has a "light switch" to turn it on or off, downstream of the timer. I suppose I should check to see if I get power to the pump when everything is turned on (timer and switch)...anything else?

Checking power to the motor is a good idea before making a move. If it did truly die you can get just the motor for about $40 less than a whole new unit. You may want to run at full speed on the main pump when using the booster. I have a VS and was told by a Jandy tech that I should be running at least 2000RPM when the booster is on and that's about 2/3 power.

So...with my having done nothing at all...it's working again. Apparently I had left it turned on (with the timer off) and it ran over night. So...other than divine intervention...what could that mean? It wasn't hot the other day when I saw it wasn't working, so...

Intermittent electrical issue (loose wire)
Capacitor?

I've never seen anything like this, but you can be sure it's high speed when running booster pump just to be sure....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.