Solar cover reels - advice/recommendations needed

Jun 16, 2016
Suitland, MD
I need some sort of reel for the solar cover because I can't handle it by myself. I have a 24' round IG pool with an irregular pool deck (sort of homemade cement pavers) so I can't exactly bolt anything down.

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 97
I did the DIY cover only thing I changed was I used stainless steal screws with pieces of pipe as washers instead of the auto clips. I could not find a source for the clips that was not expensive, would have more than doubled the cost of the build in my case.

You got it, it is a pipe under the middle of the cover. I cut little pieces of pipe to use as washers and used stainless steal screws to sandwich the cover between the pipe and homemade washers every 2ft or so. You just twist the pipe and the cover rolls up from both sides at the same time. You have to cut the cover in half as a 24 foot roll would be too much strain on the pipe and would be unwieldy to lift out of the water. Most of the time We just leave the cover in the pool rolled up if we are just hanging out on the shelf. I take it out on weekends or if we are having people over.

You got it, it is a pipe under the middle of the cover. I cut little pieces of pipe to use as washers and used stainless steal screws to sandwich the cover between the pipe and homemade washers every 2ft or so. You just twist the pipe and the cover rolls up from both sides at the same time. You have to cut the cover in half as a 24 foot roll would be too much strain on the pipe and would be unwieldy to lift out of the water. Most of the time We just leave the cover in the pool rolled up if we are just hanging out on the shelf. I take it out on weekends or if we are having people over.

OK I think this might be something I can handle doing. What kind of pipe should I use and how big? Do you have a picture?

I would think that PVC would work, it's going to be a bit heaver but since the weight is distributed I don't think it will matter. You could try 1" instead of 1.5" the other thought I have is put the pipe on the top of the cover instead of underneath to distribute the weight even more. It will not be as aesthetically pleasing but should work. You can PM mas985 I am sure he has heard of different variations on his design.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.