CYA Levels over 100+, will this affect my FC test results?

Aug 23, 2016
Frisco
Hi everyone, I'm glad to be part of the troublefreepool community as I just bought a house with a pool and learning how to maintain it. I have a Leslie Pool Deluxe Test Kit (not exactly sure which one it is) and tested the CYA level. Both the test kit and the strips I tested with gave very high CYA level readings, 100+ on the Taylor test kit and 300+ on the AquaChek strips. What is confusing is on the AquaChek, my FC is +20 but on the Leslie, it's around 1ppm. My pool looks crystal clear and I smell a little bit of CC but not a whole lot. I'm confused as to if I need to raise the FC or lower it. My question is, does high CYA affect the accuracy results of the FC tests?

23k Gallon pool, outdoors, not salt water, and in-ground.

High CYA will not impact the FC using a good test kit.

We do not trust strips, so who knows if the FC is really that high. But, if it was and if your other test is just the DPD chlorine test (not the recommended FAS-DPD test) then it can be bleached out at high FC levels and appear to be much lower than reality.

Hi everyone, I'm glad to be part of the troublefreepool community as I just bought a house with a pool and learning how to maintain it. I have a Leslie Pool Deluxe Test Kit (not exactly sure which one it is) and tested the CYA level. Both the test kit and the strips I tested with gave very high CYA level readings, 100+ on the Taylor test kit and 300+ on the AquaChek strips. What is confusing is on the AquaChek, my FC is +20 but on the Leslie, it's around 1ppm. My pool looks crystal clear and I smell a little bit of CC but not a whole lot. I'm confused as to if I need to raise the FC or lower it. My question is, does high CYA affect the accuracy results of the FC tests?

23k Gallon pool, outdoors, not salt water, and in-ground.
Do you have the 'Deluxe OTO' (yellow label) kit:
http://www.lesliespool.com/Taylor-Technologies-K-5820-OTO-Deluxe-Test-Kit/K-5820.htm

Or do you have the 'Deluxe DPD' (pink label) kit:
http://www.lesliespool.com/Taylor-Technologies-K-1004-DPD-Deluxe-Test-Kit/K-1004.htm

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.