Post SLAM questions

Sobo

Aug 24, 2016
Indianapolis, IMN
I had a pump failure while out of town for the weekend and came home to a swamp. I began the SLAM process after repairs were made to pumps. My swamp is now a light blue/gray but not clear yet. My question is about the FC level after it is clear again. How do I get it back to the range suggested in pool school? Should I just monitor it and turn my SWG back on when it approaches the normal level?

P.S. I had all my levels set to the SLAM chart before I began the process.

Should I just monitor it and turn my SWG back on when it approaches the normal level?
That's it. The FC will come down very nicely once you stop replenishing it. It will not take long (3 days or so....you can swim if you want) and your SWG will be ready to kick in and maintain it.

So I can see the bottom of the pool again, almost crystal clear. My CYA has crept down to 50 from 70 when I started the slam. Should I try to get CYA back to 70 while slamming? I have been keeping up the FC levels each day and back flushing filter when needed. I have been dealing with rainstorms every other day as well. My ph is now at 8.

No, if your SLAM is not over don't increase CYA. I assume you have been vacuuming to waste a good bit?

pH test isn't valid with FC over 10.

The PH test is inaccurate when your FC is 10 or higher. Make sure you are using liquid chlorine (aka bleach) to increase your FC because powdered and solid forms will increase CYA or CH.

Don't backwash until your pressure is 25% above the clean pressure as sand filters work best when a little dirty.

Brush daily, run the pump 24/7, test and adjust FC several times a day to keep it at SLAM levels (see the chart in my signature).

Been using bleach and brushing daily. Only been backwashing when needed(I did add some DE to the sand filter). I have not vacuumed to waste, only thru filter. Pump has been running 24/7.
Water is clear enough to see the bottom just not crystal clear yet. I just want to make sure I properly finish the SLAM.

Unfortunately I work evenings. Can I still perform the test at around midnight and then around 7-8 hours later before the sun hits the water directly?

- - - Updated - - -

What I mean is how much time is needed for the test to be accurate? I can test before sunrise if needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.