Post-SLAM, new issue

Aug 1, 2016
Asheville, NC
Took two weeks, but we got through SLAM successfully, even added about 1 cup DE to help the process. Pool looked great.

But now I'm frustrated because our pool looks horrible so soon after all that work. Not a few days later, we have what we thought was pollen, but now we're not sure. Algae? The water is cloudy and we can barely see the drain at the deep end. The bottom and slanted parts are coated in a greenish/ yellowish dust (?) that comes up super easy when brushed/ vacuumed. It's not on the vertical walls and it's not slimy.

FC 4 (overnight tests are fine)
CC 0.5
CYA 70
pH 7.5 (just added muriatic acid today to bring down from 8.2)
TA 170

From my recent research, our filter is an insufficient size for our pool--slated for 25k and we're at 27K. Plus, we only have two return jets, when I think we should have 4. Maybe all this contributes to the problems of never getting to relax and enjoy our pool's beauty for more than a few days a time before another issue comes up. This was the case even when we were going to the pool store. We've been running the filter 24/7.

We have about two weeks left before we close the pool. Is it worth SLAMing again? Should I add more DE to the filter to help with whatever this is? PSI holds steady at 15. Should we just close it at this point? Honestly, ready to give up and cancel our Labor Day plans.... :( But if it's a relatively easy fix, I'm up for it.

Thanks for any help!

Hi neighbor!

The bare minimum for CYA of 70 is FC 5.

I personally have one return and one skimmer. Pool stays clear because of adequate chlorine, not circulation. SLAM that bad boy now, enjoy your Labor Day weekend AND close clear :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.