Issues with scupper

goober71

Jun 20, 2016
Houston TX
Hi All,
I'm hoping some of you can help with this concern.
As part of my pool build, we had the PB include a 32 inch scupper as a water feature. PB told us it would be like a waterfall, with water cascading out of the scupper into the pool 12 inches below.
The scupper is basically a rectangular hole in the raised beam, with the travertine surrounding it. Water fills the cavity and then rolls out.
The problem is, the flow is not strong enough, so most of it weeps off the wall rather than cascading down.
PB is trying to blame this on the pump, but the flow is not even and strong even when the pump is at full speed. He is also saying that the returns should be closed off when the scupper is running.
Has anyone else experienced this? Shouldn't scuppers have a pleasing flow to them?
Trying to figure out how to get this corrected. The PB contract simply says 7ft raised bean with 32" scupper.
Thanks.

G

The pump will only move so much water depending on the TDH, diverting more water to the scupper by moving the valve is fairly common. The other option is to shorten the opening of the scupper, same water through smaller opening will likely give you the results you want. Seeing a picture would help.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

I'm happy to report that the issue has been resolved. They replaced the original fitting inside the scupper with a T and 2 90s, facing downward. The water now fills and flows well, even at low pump speed. I do have to close the valve for the returns, but both scupper and bubblers work at the same time without issues.
G

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.