Heat pump compressor

tpm

Sep 6, 2008
NY
Hello
Trying to determine if my compressor is shot. 3 wires go to compressor unit ( wires with eyelets connections screwed into housing ) On the red wire which I think is the Common wire the silver tab is broken off. That wire was burned and separated. I put a new connection on it but compressor is still not coming on. Could that silver tab be replaced ? Kind of resembles a sofa can pull tab with a ring
I did try to use a multimeter ( first time using one ) and really don't know what I'm doing.
Changed both capacitors and fan runs just no heat and no error codes
Thanks

The compressor as its missing the silver tab on the red wire connection. That wire was corroded or burnt off. I replaced the wire eyelet but the silver ring to make contact on compressor is burnt off
Want me to post a picture?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wish I knew the reason. Only 7 years old and even if compressor is covered under warranty they still want minimum of 1200.00 to install. Best to buy a new one

Did you have it serviced every year or two by an HVAC company to maintain refrigerant levels and oil levels? That is usually what causes a compressor to fail.

Honestly no and it never crossed my mind. Didn't know it had to be serviced for PM. Now I know. Thanks for the information although I wish someone at the pool company told me years ago

You should be able to add it to your home AC service plan. It is basically the same as a home heat pump with a water exchange instead of an air exchange. The rest is the same.

A lot of things can take out compressors outside. Lightning and related surges are just two of them. Catastrophic connector failure like that can result from either of those.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.