New pool owner, starting up IG pool (closed for over a year)

image.jpgJust wanted to follow up. This is not even 36 hours after starting this process. It's not totally crystal yet but we couldn't resist. Only about 100 dollars in Chemicals invested. The pool store wanted 350 for their "start up" set. Huge thanks to helpful people of this site. I'm sure I will still have more questions. I found a small hole about 6 feet down. So that's the next job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. I did the overnight test last night. It was 1 ppm maybe less. It was one of those deals where the 19th drop there was still a very slight shade of pink in there. So more than likely less than 1 ppm. I should have used the 20 ml sample. Also CC test yesterday was 0.5 then later tested 0. Water is clear so I guess it's time to end the slam. I have a swg. I need to go pick a tester for salt today. Would the strips be sufficient? Also. It's taking me forever to raise the cya. What's the minimum I need to raise cya before I turn the swg on?

Most folks ultimately prefer the Taylor salt kit but I've found the salt stip to cross-corroborate (I have both). You're really only testing salt on initial startup or the end of cell life, and the rest of the time, what the unit reads is what matters, so I think you'd be one ith the strips.

Re cya, have you added the amount required/shown via Pool Math? If so,wait for it to read, though IME it usually reads after 24 hrs if you massage to sock vigorously to dissolve.

You havent backwashed since adding, have you?

You want to give the salt a good day or two to dissolve fully so you can go ahead with that part anyway and check cya again, tell s how mch you've now added, etc.

Ideally, you start up the generator when you're at target for cya so that things get off to a good start in terms of maintaining your minimums.

Pool math should tell you the correct amount of cya to add to get to 80...my pool is 24k gallons and I needed 14 lbs as I recall.

Re: ch - technically, no need, but heater mfgs etc. like to say 200sh for vinyl...sometime having a bit more ch helps keep you "csi" index within range...you want it slightly negative with swg but not toooo far on the acidic scale. On the Pool Math page, play around with your inputs to see the resulting csi.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.