PLEASE HELP! New Pool Owner! - basic usage

onaiR

Aug 24, 2016
Torrance/CA
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. My wife and I just bought a house with a pool.
I'm a new pool owner and I'm not familiar with all of these valves and their functions. I am hoping that I can get some help from this.
Thank you in advance! And apologize if I'm missing any necessary info..

I've included some photos below:
There are:
#1 = Red small valve
#2 = Blue small valve
#3 = Black large valve
#4 = Blue large valve
#5 = Black filter valve
#6 = Pump timer
#7 = Unknown

My main objective:
- Figure out what each individual valve does?
- Find the correct mode for:
Daily Pool mode
To Heat Pool mode
Spa Mode
And how to drain water from Pool and Spa if needed.

Again, I appreciate everyone’s help in advance. Thanks!

Main.jpgValve2.jpgValve1.jpg

I can't clearly identify much in there but the water comes into the front of the pump and leaves out the top. Best way to find out what valves work what, shut all but one off on either side of the pump and observe. Then label them when you figure it out. The timers on the wall, one would be for the pump and the other for the heater maybe? Look at the wires to see what they each control.

And welcome to the forum!

the pipe on the left side (9 o'clock position) of that never lube valve goes into the pump, so that pipe is pulling water.
The pipe comes out of the top of the pump is sending water from the pump into the filter (the bottom of the push/pull handle valve).

can you take more pics of the other side of the filter, and the backside of the heater?

I'll take a shot at some of this.
  1. I'm guessing fill valve. Opening the valve puts water in the pool. Have you tried moving this to see what happens?
  2. Don't see a number 2
  3. Diverter valve. The pump sucks water coming from this valve. In one position I suspect it comes the drains and weir (normal operation), in the other position from whatever the heck #4 is.
  4. Shut off valve. That's a bit weird, maybe a water supply to prime the pump?
  5. Backflush valve. When backflushing your filter you'll shut off the pump, twist and pull that handle up, then turn on the pump. This circulates water backwards thru your filter expelling all the crud that has accumulated out the backflush pipe (that's at the bottom heading for the back wall).
  6. Timers. One controls your pump, looks like one controls your heater.

Anyone else have thoughts on this one?

I'll take a shot at some of this.
  1. I'm guessing fill valve. Opening the valve puts water in the pool. Have you tried moving this to see what happens?
  2. Don't see a number 2
  3. Diverter valve. The pump sucks water coming from this valve. In one position I suspect it comes the drains and weir (normal operation), in the other position from whatever the heck #4 is.
  4. Shut off valve. That's a bit weird, maybe a water supply to prime the pump?
  5. Backflush valve. When backflushing your filter you'll shut off the pump, twist and pull that handle up, then turn on the pump. This circulates water backwards thru your filter expelling all the crud that has accumulated out the backflush pipe (that's at the bottom heading for the back wall).
  6. Timers. One controls your pump, looks like one controls your heater.

Anyone else have thoughts on this one?

#1&2 is also showing on Pic2/Red&Blue small valve = my guess is that these control the hot/cold water to the pool/spa.

I did played around with these valves, here's what I think...
#1 = Red small valve --> HOT WATER VALVE
#2 = Blue small valve --> COLD WATER VALVE
#3 = Black large valve --> PUMP SUCTION?
#4 = Blue large valve --> WATER OUT TO POOL/SPA?
#5 = Black filter valve --> BACKFLUSH VALVE
#6 = Pump timer --> PUMP TIMER
#7 = Unknown --> HEATER TIMER?

I'm trying to figure out how to FILTER the water from the drain ONLY/close the skimmer.... so confusing

- - - Updated - - -

the pipe on the left side (9 o'clock position) of that never lube valve goes into the pump, so that pipe is pulling water.
The pipe comes out of the top of the pump is sending water from the pump into the filter (the bottom of the push/pull handle valve).

can you take more pics of the other side of the filter, and the backside of the heater?

Yes, I will take more picture of the backside of the heater...

I did played around with these valves, here's what I think...
#1 = Red small valve --> HOT WATER VALVE
#2 = Blue small valve --> COLD WATER VALVE
#3 = Black large valve --> PUMP SUCTION?
#4 = Blue large valve --> WATER OUT TO POOL/SPA?
#5 = Black filter valve --> BACKFLUSH VALVE
#6 = Pump timer --> PUMP TIMER
#7 = Unknown --> HEATER TIMER?

I'm trying to figure out how to FILTER the water from the drain ONLY/close the skimmer.... so confusing

There's no guarantee that the main drain and skimmer have separate pipes all the way to the pad. Some installs merge those pipes upstream.

I guess that is possible...

The main reason is that I want to heat the pool...because of the skimmer is sucking/filtering more water from the top, the hot water that goes in the pool just somewhat circulate on the top of the pool only. When I go under the water, I noticed that the water is still cold.
Solution: need to filter/suction more water from the main drain vs the skimmer.

I wonder if it safe to manually close/block the skimmer? I know they sell some type of blockage. -> would this damage the pump? overheat?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like you have a pressure side cleaner pump - slightly hidden back beside the heater. If so, one timer is for the pool/spa pump and the other for the pressure side cleaner pump.

Here are my guesses on the valves:

1 & 2 - controls return water TO the pool and spa. You will need to open one fully and close other one fully to see which is which.

3 - controls suction FROM the pool and spa. You can adjust to pull water from pool or spa - or a combo of both.

4 - shuts off suction FROM spa only. While this one may seem redundant, I think it help ensure the spa suction is totally off if that is the desired setting.

5 - backwash valve (see explanation on use in other responses above).

6 & 7 - timers for pump motors. One for pool/spa pump, one for pressure side cleaner pump.

The valve setup allows you to isolate the spa from the pool so you can heat either independently if desired. Is the spa higher than the pool, with a spill-over into the pool? Or is it on the same level as the pool? Based on the answer, we may have some everyday valve setting suggestions for you.

If you use a pressure side cleaner, the pool pump must also be running when the cleaner pump is running. Set the timers accordingly.

The heater is manually controlled. It most likely does not run through the timers. All return water flows through the heater, whether heater is on or off. When using heater, be sure to run pump for at least 15 minutes after heater turns off to cool the heater unit down.

You might be able to angle the returns down to help with circulation. This will also help with mixing the water to even out temperature.

As stated above, your main drain is most probably plumbed through the skimmer. Is there a skimmer float valve assembly in the bottom of the skimmer, below the skimmer basket? The float valve assembly allows some adjustment of flow between main drain and skimmer.
Float Valve Assembly and your Pool Skimmer - YouTube

It looks like you have a pressure side cleaner pump - slightly hidden back beside the heater. If so, one timer is for the pool/spa pump and the other for the pressure side cleaner pump.

Here are my guesses on the valves:

1 & 2 - controls return water TO the pool and spa. You will need to open one fully and close other one fully to see which is which.

3 - controls suction FROM the pool and spa. You can adjust to pull water from pool or spa - or a combo of both.

4 - shuts off suction FROM spa only. While this one may seem redundant, I think it help ensure the spa suction is totally off if that is the desired setting.

5 - backwash valve (see explanation on use in other responses above).

6 & 7 - timers for pump motors. One for pool/spa pump, one for pressure side cleaner pump.

The valve setup allows you to isolate the spa from the pool so you can heat either independently if desired. Is the spa higher than the pool, with a spill-over into the pool? Or is it on the same level as the pool? Based on the answer, we may have some everyday valve setting suggestions for you.

If you use a pressure side cleaner, the pool pump must also be running when the cleaner pump is running. Set the timers accordingly.

The heater is manually controlled. It most likely does not run through the timers. All return water flows through the heater, whether heater is on or off. When using heater, be sure to run pump for at least 15 minutes after heater turns off to cool the heater unit down.

You might be able to angle the returns down to help with circulation. This will also help with mixing the water to even out temperature.

As stated above, your main drain is most probably plumbed through the skimmer. Is there a skimmer float valve assembly in the bottom of the skimmer, below the skimmer basket? The float valve assembly allows some adjustment of flow between main drain and skimmer.
Float Valve Assembly and your Pool Skimmer - YouTube

Thank you, and thank you ALL. I will experiment more...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.