Need advise on stabiliser

angela

Aug 8, 2007
Surrey England
OK I felt like an expert last year - managed to keep my pool clear all summer.

This year I am already struggling - perhaps because we are having so much sun!!! Not that I am complaining.

I am shocking at the moment but my cya is low. For the first time I need to buy cyanuric acid and I guess I need it in the liquid form so it works fast.

Can any one suggest good products and approx price please - dont want to get ripped off at the local pool stores.

Thanks

I don't remember seeing any suggestion that CYA varied in potency or quality from one brand to another. Liquid is generally reported as double the cost of granular. Some people, notably including our admin JasonLion, think there is no good reason to use liquid; the granular works soon enough for less cost.
--paulr

I don't think you need to use liquid.

Check Wal-mart or similar big-box stores, Lowes, etc. for their pool departments and get the granular. Put up to 2lbs in a sock at a time and set it in the skimmer (don't block the water flow) or tie it off in front of the return. Leave the pump running, it should dissolve in under 36 hours.

After the first day, "assume" the amount you added is there (don't test for it yet-save your reagent) and adjust your FC levels accordingly. You will see an improvement in your FC loss immediately. You can retest the levels after 5-6 days after the last addition.

There is zero need to pay for the liquid.

If you do buy it from the Pool Store (if you can't find it elsewhere) don't be fooled into getting the weaker version (I was). Make sure the active ingredient is at least 90% CYA, I accidentally bought some that was only 50% CYA, 50 % sodium bicarb :oops: )

yup...just keep your FC up until your cya level gets to where it needs to be. Check pool school and the recommended FC levels for your current CYA level and increase from there as you add CYA...the granualr form works just as well and dissolves within 2-5 days, at half the cost of liquid stabilizer.

frustratedpoolmom said:
If you do buy it from the Pool Store (if you can't find it elsewhere) don't be fooled into getting the weaker version (I was). Make sure the active ingredient is 99% CYA, I accidentally bought some that was only 50% CYA, 50 % sodium bicarb :oops: )
Yes, of course immediately after I posted the above, I read this post that described the 50% stuff... and then FPM posted here before I could fix my previous post to look like I was smarter... sheesh.
frustratedpoolmom said:
Check Wal-mart or similar big-box stores, Lowes, etc. for their pool departments and get the granular.
Do they have those in England? In any case it's worth calling around for prices.

--paulr

Didn't even notice the location. :oops:

Perhaps order it online? I was scanning online to see the varying prices and % strengths, all sorts out there. A few sites had the HTH stabilizer for $80 to $100 for 4 lbs. WHAT A RIP OFF!!!

You should be able to get 4 lbs for less than $15. (u.s.) plus shipping. Any site that wants more than that should be avoided.

National Discount Pool Supplies has 99% for a good price, but I don't know if they ship to England.

Here's a site I think that is UK based, and I'm not sure about the conversion/math if it's a good price or not? Also can't tell the % ingredient.
http://preview.hosts.co.uk/~pooland.../Online_Catalogue_Chlorine_and_Bromine_7.html

Great advise as always guys - thanks.

I checked that link online and it is less then half the price that the pool store was asking for! Delivery is a bit of a prob as I'm back at work tomorrow. So I put some stabilised chlorine in to shock and the chlorine level is now holding at shock level. My poor pool is looking very cloudy though - not very inviting! Should I hold it at shock level until the cloudiness goes?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.