Pool wall and floor issues

Aug 23, 2016
palmetto ga
Hello
I have been told that I need to shovel dirt up against the outside wall of my pool (about 2'). is this true?

Our pool was installed about 2 months ago and it has formed a 3-4" deep crevice under the floor liner that extends approx. 20' down the length of the pool. Would this have anything to do with dirt up against the wall?

Hi, welcome to TFP! Could you post a picture of the problem? Did you install the pool yourselves? Was the ground leveled by digging down into firm soil or was the soil built up? Does rainwater runoff into the pool area?

Thanks! Because the crevice is on the floor of the pool and underwater, it is not visible with a camera. It was professionally installed but we noticed the floor had indentations in it right after the install and called them back out to look at it. At that time, they offered to drain the pool and redo the liner. Because we are on a well, we decided to live with the indentations. The crevice did not appear until a month later.

The pool was installed on top of packed sand that was there from a round pool we had taken down. They added more sand to that though. No water run off into pool. After it gets light, imwill take a pic of the wall / dirt build up - maybe that will help...

Thanks! Because the crevice is on the floor of the pool and underwater, it is not visible with a camera. It was professionally installed but we noticed the floor had indentations in it right after the install and called them back out to look at it. At that time, they offered to drain the pool and redo the liner. Because we are on a well, we decided to live with the indentations. The crevice did not appear until a month later.

The pool was installed on top of packed sand that was there from a round pool we had taken down. They added more sand to that though. No water run off into pool. After it gets light, imwill take a pic of the wall / dirt build up - maybe that will help...

It wont let me load the last pic I have exceeded my quota. The last picture shows the outside wall that does not have dirt piled against the wall. It is the 32' side that is not buried. So, do you think I need to drain the pool and ask the installer to fix the floor? Do i need dirt around the sides that are not buried?
Thanks, Margie

There is no need to pile dirt around the outside of a pool. You should have proper drainage so water does not collect around your pool, or run under it, but there is no reason to pile dirt against the outside. Now, on the INSIDE, there should be a cove at the bottom under the liner, between the wall and floor, either made out of sand or pre-made foam cove. Your installer should have put that in.

As for the crevice - what are we talking about here. How big and wide. I understand it to be running paralell to the wall on the left side of your ladder, facing the pool. It's hard to tell from your picture, but is the soil sloped away from the pool on that side. It could be due to water getting under the pool. You also said the put the pool over where an existing round pool was. How did the build up the ground to make it level. How thick was the layer of sand that they added. Water is heavy, and if things were not compacted, that could be your reason.

-dave

If you only have sand underneath, that is a poor substrate and it sounds like the water is undermining the pool and cutting a channel into the sand. You will need to divert the water somewhere else. The pics don't show the subject, right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.