DE back into spa only

RussellC

Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
Austin, TX
my clean pressure on my DE filter is 20 psi. When I turn it to spa mode it jumps to 27 psi and the spa gets cloudy and murky. It seems DE is getting back into the spa. I have no idea how old the grids are (they could be up to 9 years old) and when I cleaned them a couple weeks ago I didn't notice any tears but there must be. I can't think of any other reason why it would be doing that. Time to replace them?

Now that I think about it. Maybe I put to much DE in the filter. I don't know. I think there is DE coming out when I open the air relief valve at the top of the filter when water sprays off. I see de powder in my equipment when the water dries. Still maybe bad grids or what? I am a newbie to this stuff? I added around 11-12 scoops in my 60 ft filter.

Also, who knows. Maybe it's going back into the pool also but I just can't see it cause it's bigger and it's much less. Hrmm

I am thinking I put in too much DE. My filter needs 7.5 lbs. I put in 12 scoops thinking after reading something on INYO pools. I read on here that each scoop is about .75 lb or higher if you pack it which would leave me with 9 lbs of DE in there. Could that cause the DE to come out of the air release valve and also back into the spa?

I think the only way for DE to get into the return lines is thru a breach in either the filter elements or internal plumbing.

If you have a VS pump you could run at a lower RPM (lower pressure) for longer. Much more energy efficient too.

I think the only way for DE to get into the return lines is thru a breach in either the filter elements or internal plumbing.

If you have a VS pump you could run at a lower RPM (lower pressure) for longer. Much more energy efficient too.

OK i guess i need to pull the filter apart again. Bummer. I do not have a VS pump either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.