Excited future 1st time pool owner in Texas

defasum

Bronze Supporter
Aug 13, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
I have been browsing the site for a few weeks now. It's great to read the advice of professional and enthusiastic owners. I only wish I had found this site before I signed my contract. I truly look forward to reading the unlimited knowledge available here. I have learned so much in the past few weeks. Thanks to the site owners for bringing this community together.

Here are my specs

Pool specifications:
Size: 21 x 28
Depth: 3.5 x 5 x 4
Perimeter: 100
Area: 534
Gallons: 17,021
Skimmers: 2
Returns: 5
Coping: Standard classic Travertine
Plaster: Aquabright

Raised beams:
12", 18" & 24" Leuders saw-cut veneer

Water features:
2 - Deck Jets
2 - 18" sheer descents
1 - 24" sheer descent
1 - Jandy 80GPM booster pump

Deck:
560 sq. ft. of 2-color rock texture

Equipment:
2.0 HP Jandy E-Pump
460 sq. ft. Jandy cartridge filter
Aqualink with PDA P4
Polaris 3900 w/ pump
Chlorine feeder
UV Sterilizer
2 - Jandy LED lights

Since I have never owned a pool before, I may have been sold some equipment that I may have not needed (UV sterilizer). Realizing it after reading some of the posts on this site.

We are now at decking stage and I will be posting more pictures soon. I look forward to any advice I can get.

Attachments

• IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 452
HI! I can't wait to help you with your build! You already have a good start with the pool by finding TFP!

You are at the point you need to go ahead and buy your test kit. Of course see what the PB will be giving you. If it is halfway decent we can help you fill in the holes.

Have they put in the equipment yet? If not tell them (not ask) to not put in the UV system. It really won't hurt to have it but it will be a waste of money and effort.

Hey I know!!! Have him trade the UV system for the Taylor 2006 (NOT 2005) test kit!

Tell us about your finishes! We love to see that!

:kim:

I have to say keep the feeder so you will have it for weekend getaways and vacations. I don't like my floater as it gets stuck and does not do a very good job of getting the FC out into the water while I am gone.

:kim:

Thanks everyone, unfortunately the equipment had already been installed before I found this site :(. We are going with Travertine coping and Leuders veneer for the water features. I will be ordering my TF-100 test kit today with my TFP discount.

It has been raining quite a bit and now the PB said they are behind. Hoping to get the decking done this week. Some of the sand has washed away so they will have to add more before the concrete. Still some rain in the forecast but I was hoping to have the pool ready by 2nd of September. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I did not find much information on the aqua bright finish we are going with but I was really sold on it. We have several friends and family with pools and they have pebble-tech. That stuff is rough on our feet. For what it's worth, I know the aqua bright is a new material but the PB supplied me with a lifetime warranty. I already have it in writing and signed by the owner.

I'll be testing my tap water as soon as the kit is here and posting my results.

Here's a few more pics:

Travertine coping
IMG_0089.jpg

Leuters veneer on waterfall wall
IMG_0090.jpg
Pool equipment
IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0067.jpg

The decking was pored today. Not quite the color I was expecting. The workers said there is a coating on it right now and they would be back to power wash it tomorrow. It would look closer to the color after the power wash. The final color won't come through until 2-3 weeks after it's fully cured. We went with a sand color. Looking forward to getting my grills and patio furniture out of my garage and back where they belong. PB said to wait at least 2 weeks before putting anything on the deck. Grading will be done on Saturday.

Can anyone give me an estimation on how much time I have left before I can jump in if the weather holds out? PB said they would take care of the water for the first 30 days as part of the contract. I'm still going to check my chems just to get familiar with the process.

Pics

Attachments

• 2016-08-25 19.46.33.jpg
    2016-08-25 19.46.33.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 354
  • 2016-08-25 19.46.42.jpg
    2016-08-25 19.46.42.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 359
  • 2016-08-25 19.46.51.jpg
    2016-08-25 19.46.51.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 359

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check out this thread for info on Aquabright...pretty impressive product

Plaster and Aquabright Comparison

Thanks Brian, Glad to see more information about aqua bright now. It was difficult to find anything when I was looking. But I found enough to convince me to give it a try. Hopefully others are willing to. I really feel good about my decision. Having friends and family with plaster and pebble-tech that have had to resurface their pools after 10-15 years, I'm willing to take a chance. Finding out that the aqua bright is applied on top of standard plaster gives me confidence.

Having said that, today they applied the plaster. Filling the bottom of the pool today. aqua bright is scheduled for Monday. Looks like we're just days away from enjoying our pool. Just my luck, I will be traveling next week. My wife will have to watch the pool fill on Monday. I was really looking forward to that.

Pictures!!

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 179
Well my pool is finally complete. Admittedly, I took the week off to enjoy my pool before he season ended and it began to get cold. I hadn't posed because I have been putting my finishing touches like sod, tropical plants and furniture while I have been off. But now my backyard oasis looks just like I dreamed it would.

I am very happy with the way it all turned out and was very pleased with the attention and service the PB provided. I only have a few minor issues that they are taking care of. We had 3 sheer descents on the back wall installed but one of them turned out to be a rainfall descent instead of a sheer descent. they will now need to break off the travertine coping in order to replace it. Oddly enough the service guy that came out put a jigsaw to the descent to convert it from rainfall to sheer and completely destroyed it. What the heck was he thinking! Apparently there are some defective LED lights from jandy that are causing the lights not to work properly. My lights will not sync correctly and I get random settings instead of the chosen settings I enter into the Zodiac PDA. They will be replacing the defective lights but they are on back order and probably won't be replaced until November.

Pool school was interesting. The service guy was very informative and for the most part was aligned with what I had already learned from TFP. In fact, he also recommended that I do not get my water tested at the local pool store. He said they will try and sell you chemicals that you will not need. Of course, he did push their own monthly services.

Pics of the final product!!

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 131
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.