Water level in skimmer

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
Here is a photo of my skimmer. The current water level is at the bottom of the tab in the middle of top of the skimmer body. I am thinking thats too high and impacting my skimmer effectiveness? Thoughts?

127125AA-B489-4B61-860A-EAB65EDFDA54_zpsgonedq17.jpg

Yes, that is a little too high. Goal is middle of the opening and high limit is about 2/3s. You want the water to draw the weir open at least a bit to increase the water velocity into the skimmer. That could be why the debris isn't being skmmed at 1100 rpm.

It's a bit high and may be affecting it as pooldv said you want it at the midpoint. That being said I let mine get up that high with rain water in winter to do what I can to save water. In winter I get very little blown in so win/win I guess

Yes if the water level is that high, it doesn't give floating debris much chance to get in there. 1/2 to 2/3 full is ideal to ensure debris is trapped in the skimmer. Otherwise it doesn't really impact overall pool performance, though if it is too low.... whole nother story there

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Okay i tried to measure the tile and opening, it appears my tile is 5 7/8" tall and the water is covering is just over 4" of the tile so i am just over 2/3 up the tile I set the auto fill to let it drop a little. I will adjust over the next couple of days. I did bump the pump rpms to 1300. I guess i need to mess with it.

The weir door on the skimmer is where the primary skimming action occurs so the water level is somewhat irrelevant. 1/2 - 3/4 up the skimmer mouth is fine. Just be sure to check that the overflow is above the water level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.