Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Pool folks were out here doing some other work and as a "favor" they acid washed my SWG. I go to test my water and it shows I have absolutely zero chlorine. Kinda freaking a little...

Threw some bleach in to make sure we don't get too low yesterday.

I test again today - no chlorine. Huh? I've got CYA in here - hasn't been sunny enough to burn off *that* much FC - at least I don't think it has.

So I take some pool water in my testing vial and dump about a teaspoon of bleach into it. As soon as I drop the powder in, I see these black particles and turns just a slight shade of yellow. But certainly not red.

Did my powder go bad? According to tftestkits even if it gets moisture it doesn't affect its usefullness and it did seem a little clumpy.

That teaspoon of bleach equals thousands of ppm FC in 10 ml of water, so you bleached the color out. If you want to try that experiment again use a single drop of bleach.

How old is the reagent and when was the last time you used it? If the answers are "less than 2 years" and "recently" then the most likely answer is that the helpful pool folks damaged your SWG.

That's not encouraging. I've never burned through chlorine that fast though. I've put in enough in the last couple of days to be at 6 or 7. I last used the powder 2 or 3 weeks ago and it's a new batch this year. This sucks. And it's too late to even got something else to try.

Just retested. The bleach I just put in the pool is testing out. Powder is fine. Status of IC40 via ET4 - [COM LINK ERROR]. Freaking wonderful...

Or... The pool guys might not have actually reconnected the swg to the Control panel! Back up and running!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah... I was a bit of a twit for panicking and not checking that first! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Guess who now has something growing in his pool and has to slam in the midst of probably one of our last good runs of hot weather here? Plus the time and expense that it takes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's irritating though. I actually really like the work the pool guys did - my pump and plumbing is better than it ever has been. But this will cost me time and money to replace CYA and the cost of the bleach as well. Fortunately, my CYA is down to about 30, so the 2 gallons of bleach I threw in this morning should take us right up to around shock level anyway, according to chem geek's chlorine/cya chart. But you're right - we should still be able to swim.

SWG running all day (should have added about 2 to FC) and still lost half my chlorine and it was cloudy and rainy most of the day. Out of chlorine/bleach too.

This stinks.

Let this be a lesson to everyone - always check EVERYTHING after the pool guys leave!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.