24,500 Gallon IG Pool
Cartridge Filter
Vinyl

FC 6
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 210 (non-adjusted)
CYA 90

I just bought this home, and recently converted to BBB instead of the pool company chemicals.

It took some time to get the PH up to 7.6 using Borax (20 Mule Team) - it was as low as 6.8. It took a good 8 boxes to get there over time.

When swimming, I get a burning sensation in the eyes, and the water smells (to me) like borax. It's a little foamy when the pump starts up in the morning & when you jump in the water. Otherwise, it is crystal clear.

I had the pool company test the water, and they said my TA was 170, and 80 after adjusting for CYA. I've tested the TA with two different kits and got the same results. I completely believe their test is more accurate than mine, but I thought the adjustment was only for 1/3 of the CYA and not the entire amount? They said it's the entire amount, and wanted to sell me more alkalinity increaser.

My understanding is that the burning sensation in my eyes can definitely come from a low TA, but everything I've seen/read says that my TA is high.

My questions are:

1. Is it normal for the water to "smell" a bit like Borax or is it likely I've put too much in (I haven't tested for Borates)?
2. What's the correct way to adjust for TA?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Most people would be trying to lower their TA at 170ppm or 210ppm. Yours isn't low by any stretch of the imagination. TA is raised by adding baking soda, so even if you do need to raise it, don't buy their product.

Eye irritation can be a pH issue, but it sounds like your pH is fine.

Irritation can also be caused by chloramines, which is a product of the chlorine disinfection process when the chlorine level in the pool isn't high enough. With your CYA at 90ppm, you probably want to maintain a higher FC level. The chart in Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock recommends 10ppm for normal operation at 90ppm CYA. Try operating there and see if the eye irritation disappears.

Another possible cause is the low salinity of the water compared to your eyes. Adding some salt to the water makes the water much less drying to your eyes.

Thanks for the quick reply John!

That was my thought as well. I'm new, but have been doing a lot of research and I've figured out that they're full of it. I got the baking soda in case I needed it, but didn't put it in because it just didn't make sense.

Of course, they test your water "for free" as long as you buy chemicals from them. Otherwise the test is $15. I bought chemicals from them in the beginning, but the last couple of tests I've just told them I still had leftovers from earlier. They grudgingly accepted that one....

I'll be doing a few things from here - adding on to the lifetime supporter list, getting the good test kit, and not going to the pool store for their "advice" any more.....

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I just thought I'd ad my 2 cents - I agree it's very likely CC causing the irritation and that your FC is too low -given the high CYA.

Any chance you'd consider lowering it down, I think you'd be happier with the results. :wink:

Also, they are wrong about the CYA correction factor and you are right. Don't have to take my word for it either. This is the forumula from the Taylor Tehcnologies website. Notice the correction factor in the table is approx 1/3 for pH from 7.4 - 8.0 and approx 1/4 from 7.0 - 7.2 of the total CYA meaurement. :goodjob:
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ontentID=5

Also, borax should not make the water foamy nor does it really have a smell. The amount you added in a pool your size is not nearly enough to get to anywhere near 50 ppm unless the pool previously had a borate product added. I also suspect CC and possibly some organics in the water.

Thanks everybody!

Signed up for the test kit & lifetime membership.

Jason, et al - you do a fantastic job with this site. very well run, amazingly responsive.... I'll be spreading the word!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.