Measuring high FC levels?

Jul 7, 2016
Raleigh, NC
In reading these forums, I see posts with test results that include FC values like 14.2, 17, 21, but my Taylor test kit comparator gauge is similar to this one (not my photo):

AC23611C-8AA8-492B-AB27-4A2BC61B9280.jpg

It only goes up to 5, unless I'm reading it wrong. So, assuming I'm reading it correctly, how do people measure these high FC values? One reason for asking is so I know if I've reached a shock FC level when that is necessary.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you need an FAS/DPD chlorine test. It measures FC up to 50 ppm. We recommend the K-2006 from Taylor or the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. I use the TF-100, it is the best value. More here, Pool School - Test Kits Compared. You can also buy just the FAS/DPD at TFTestkits.net.

The K-2005 I have was from the previous owner, and isn't very old (they had just put the pool in when they got relocated). Perhaps, the FAS/DPD kit is the way to go for me, to augment what I already have in the K-2005. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.