IC40 v. IC60

daddymack

Silver Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Las Vegas
I am getting ready for my first time salt pool. The specs for the size of the pool clearly fall into an IC40. So why do people recommend the IC60 rather than the IC40? Is bigger just better?. Does it make a difference if one is running at 80% and the other 60%, as long as the outcome is the same? is there a power difference, or?

My pool is 16x34. 3.5 - 5 - 4 deep... with a 6.5 foot wet deck and a couple steps... so not sure of the volume yet, but clearly less than 18K.

I do not understand these things yet, so maybe my questions are dumb, but hey ...lol

thank you.

Shorter pump run time and longer cell life.

The specs for the cells are based off a 24 hour runtime. Who wants to do that?

Go for the ET8 IC 60 combo ($1800) and ScreenLogic($375).

Don't screw around with the IC40. The abovementioned setup can actually be had for less money than piecing everything together and that includes the actuators.

An IC60 produces more chlorine than an IC40 in the same amount of time. So the theory is that you can run the IC60 at a lower percentage or for less hours per day, which should mean the cell will last longer.

I did a rough calculation the other day and because the IC60 costs more, it appears to be a wash to me, cost wise.

I have about the same size pool as yours and my IC40 works for me. If you can get a deal on the IC60, I'd do that, but I would not make it a project killer, as the IC40 will work just fine.

Jim R.

I agree with Jim. You'd be fine with the 40 but the value is in buying the complete setup. If the 60 fails years down the road, you could throw the 40 in.

Pentair EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 Pool and Spa Control with IC40 Cell

Looks like the ET8 is offered with the IC40. You'll have to run the numbers to if the cost difference is worth it....I always get the biggest of everything but that has more to do with a compensation issue.

I agree with Jim. You'd be fine with the 40 but the value is in buying the complete setup. If the 60 fails years down the road, you could throw the 40 in.

Pentair EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 Pool and Spa Control with IC40 Cell

Looks like the ET8 is offered with the IC40. You'll have to run the numbers to if the cost difference is worth it....I always get the biggest of everything but that has more to do with a compensation issue.

I have the combo with the IC40... but IC40 is still in the box (spacer is in place), and can exchange it and pay the difference I would think... But from what you guys are saying.. I should stick with the IC40

I had gotten the EasyTouch 4, but just swapped boards and have the 8 now.. and I have the screenlogic2

Personally, I would go with the 60. You will be able to run your pump less. This will translate to using less electricity for the pump and SWG.

The link in my signature to the SWG Calculator will enable you to enter the amount of Chlorine generated for each and see the result for your size pool in regard to the SWG output % and average daily FC loss.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Personally, I would go with the 60. You will be able to run your pump less. This will translate to using less electricity for the pump and SWG.

The link in my signature to the SWG Calculator will enable you to enter the amount of Chlorine generated for each and see the result for your size pool in regard to the SWG output % and average daily FC loss.

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

I called the supplier... its done, the IC60 is on hold for me. They will exchange the IC40.. perfecto.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.