AutoPilot (Digital Nano) Boost Mode Turns On By Itself

bobandsherry

Bronze Supporter
Apr 20, 2016
Riverview, FL
Just had AutoPilot SWG installed on my new pool. PB installed while I was on vacation, he checked and verified all was working afterward. When I returned from vacation I saw the display had "Boost On". Thinking the PB had set it to help raise chlorine level I checked the chlorine level and it was very high (registered 20 with Taylor kit). Talked with PB, thought it was odd that "Boost" was on and just asked that I turn it off. I checked hours later and "Boost" mode was on again. I turned it off and well, you get it, Boost mode was on again. Unit powered off for the night and this morning "Boost" was on again. Called PB and he said he's never seen this before. They contacted manufacturer who suggested that button may be pressed (internally) or maybe a bad board. Whatever it is they PB said they will be out to fix it. I'm just curious if anyone has seen this occur with their AutoPilot SWG unit and if so what was cause or fix.

UPDATE: Problem was never determined, unit was swapped out with Hayward Aqua Rite (see post #13 below).

Re: AutoPilot Boost Mode Turns On By Itself

PB had talked with manufacturer. They were trying to narrow down the cause, manufacturer has never seen this happen. PB checked to be sure that that boost button wasn't stuck and turning it on. It wasn't. PB replaced the Digital Nano and next day boost mode was on again without anyone (or thing) pressing the boost button. Both PB and manufacturer have no idea what could be turning it on.

- - - Updated - - -

I am a new pool owner, but my boost is either 24 or 72 hrs as an option. It never just automatically tuned on, unless i hit the button.
Yep, that's the way it's supposed to work. I'll check it in the morning when the system starts up and it's showing as "Purifying" mode, I'll then check again during the day and I'll see boost mode on. I haven't isolated to any particular time or event. But two units now installed and both have mysteriously had boost mode turned on without anyone pressing the button.

That is very strange. Did they change out the complete control box (it sounds like they did from what you describe) or just one of the boards inside of the unit?

When a Pool Pilot is in boost mode it will begin to countdown the remaining time left. When boost mode first activates it will read "BOOST 24" and then two hours later "BOOST 22". Is your unit counting down?

Yes, they swapped out the entire control box. The display is showing a countdown, I've seen "BOOST 24" and later "BOOST 22". I also had watched and recorded when the timer clicked on just the other day, saw that when it powered on it went directly into Boost mode, display showed "Boost 22". PB and manufacturer are both still stumped. Tech was going to meet with PB to test the original unit they removed from my place to see if they can see anything. Someone suggested that the tri-sensor perhaps was triggering the boost mode to come on, perhaps if there was a spike/surge in the power line. I have a whole house surge protector so it should be mitigating any electrical spikes/surges. PB was trying to say that whole house surge protector could be cause but don't see how. PB said they installed 3 others on same week, no issues with them. He said he may have to swap out for a different unit if they can't resolve this.

PB/Manufacturer still has not found a solution. PB and Rep got together to test out my original display unit, hooked it up to a pump and tried to recreate the problem. Of course, it didn't. I was testing the water flow for descents and bubbler and noticed that boost turned on after I had changed RPM on pump. Thought it was coincidence, but next day I was making speed changes and boost turned on again as RPM speed changed.

Originally my pump speed would drop to 2750, I now have it at 2500. Since making that change (3 days now) boost has not once inadvertently turned itself on. I'm coming to a realization that there may be electrical issue causing the boost to turn on, higher RPM required higher watts and perhaps was creating an unintended spike or drop in the electrical line? I'm not electrician so if it's hair brain and can't occur I'm OK with learning that. Will share with with PB after the holiday.

As an update in case anyone else encounters this issue, this is still unresolved. Surprising to see no one else has experienced this so it must indeed be very unique.

Electrician has tested the lines for anything unusual, nothing. The only constant has been that the boost kicks on only when pump is at higher RPM's. When electrician was on site we set pump to run at 3200 and within 30 secs the Nano displayed "Boost On". Reset the boost and lowered pump speed. We also reduced the Purity %. Throttled up the pump to 3000 RPM and almost immediately the "Boost On" was displayed. Back to running at 2500 RPM and boost has not turned on. The only last item that seems to be possible trouble point is the sensor itself, however manufacturer says that sensor shouldn't turn the boost on automatically. PB is requesting replacement of sensor under warranty, hopefully that's the answer.

We are still looking into this. This is not a common, or known problem but it does appear to be in conjunction with the power to the unit. With the higher RPMs, you're drawing more power, and can create an electrical/brown out condition that's tricking the unit into the boost mode. At least that's what we thing. I will forward the information to my tech team for consideration. Thanks for your patience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are still looking into this. This is not a common, or known problem but it does appear to be in conjunction with the power to the unit. With the higher RPMs, you're drawing more power, and can create an electrical/brown out condition that's tricking the unit into the boost mode. At least that's what we thing. I will forward the information to my tech team for consideration. Thanks for your patience.
With our home being new (built in last year) it would seem the electrical lines should be up to current codes, has 200 amp service. Based on the lack of other responses to this thread it does appear to be very unique issue. PB has been responsive to working on resolution. I'm sure the issue with be isolated soon.

As an update.... Lots of ideas, lots of theories including that my whole house surge protector could be cause, determined not to be. PB is still exploring other options, sensor/cell was not replaced. Boost is still turning on automatically. PB is going to install a noise suppression filter on the electrical line as next possible remedy.

Well, to close out this thread, PB did everything he could to resolve the problem with Boost mode coming on unintentionally. They worked with their manufacturer rep. Steps taken include:

1. Swapped out Nano device
2. Had electrician verify no spike/surges or interference in the electrical line
3. Verified that whole surge protector was not the cause by bypassing the surge protector
4. Split the pump and SWG at the electrical panel, putting each on their own circuit breaker
5. Replaced circuit breaker with Seimen's brand (generic / no-name was originally installed)
6. Installed noise filter in electrical line
7. Swapped out sensor cell

Despite all the efforts the Boost mode still randomly turned itself on. If I was home I'd catch within a few hours but this did cause over chlorination of the pool while I was on vacation. PB is taking final step, replacing the Auto Pilot Digital Nano and Cell with Hayward Aqua Rite with T9 cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.