Index Sand Filter Problem

May 7, 2011
When my intex sand filter is running it gets all the air out of the system, but when I turn it off, a bunch of air comes from somewhere and fills up half of the area with the clear lid and leaf basket. What could be causing this? The intake and output are both underwater and there are no leaks in any of the connections.

The pump can be pulling in air from the suction side. The air then compresses in the top of the filter and, when you shut off the pump, the compressed air pushes back and some of it stays in the top of the pump basket.

I think you have a loose fitting or something that is allowing air into your suction side. I can think of no other explanation.

The most common place for it to leak is the o-ring around the clear plastic lid on the prefilter basket. Make sure it's not pinched and the lid is screwed on tightly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.