Ended up with an Intex 24x52 AGP instead...need better pump.

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
Well, we ended up not getting the metal sided pool after all. Will probably get one like that in a few years...so we went with a metal framed pool again and just got one at walmart. Dh didn't want to put up a better pool yet because he's not sure how long we will live here on his parents property. He'd rather do a more crappy pool. LOL Anyhow...we're still laying sand to make it more level and softer for the liner...but I know the pump/filter that comes with the Intex 24x52 round pool is junk. Its not going to filter the water at all.

I'm wanting to know what other pump/filter should I look at getting for it? I want something that will FILTER that water and actually MOVE the water...not just stir it around a little. Nothing outrageously priced..but nothing el cheapo either. Any suggestions????

Well if you are getting a 24' pool then the volume of water is larger and you can go ahead and go with a nice 20" or larger sand filter with a 3/4hp pump for an AGP. Just check prices around for those items or that setup on the internet shops. You should find something reasonable OR go on Craigs List - unbelievable what a person can find on there for equipment. Just saw a nice 24' hard sided pool setup on there with everythng dirt cheap. All kinds of stuff on there.

So would a 3/4hp pump work really well for this size pool? I believe the pool calculator gave me calculation of 17,600 gallons, correct? Give or take a few because I did not fill it completely up to the seam..its about 8" below the seam as I have an 11, 9 and 4 year old that I wanted to be able to touch the bottom if needed.

I want good suction for when I'm vacuuming the pool. Also would a 2speed be a wiser choice? Would like to ATTEMPT to keep the cost of a pump and filter under 400.00. What can I get good for that?

I have a 24' x 52" that I fill up to around 48 - 50", and I'm thinking it's right at 13,500 gallons.

A 3/4 or 1 hp pump would be fine for this size pool. 2 speed pumps are great for saving energy, but are a bit pricier than a single speed. I bought my 2-speeder for around $250 or so from Amerimerc.com . They also have some filter/pump combo's on their website, some for under $400. and free shipping!

disclaimer: I am not employed by Amerimerc.com and receive no compensation whatsoever from them, etc etc etc.

MikeInTN said:
I have a 24' x 52" that I fill up to around 48 - 50", and I'm thinking it's right at 13,500 gallons.

A 3/4 or 1 hp pump would be fine for this size pool. 2 speed pumps are great for saving energy, but are a bit pricier than a single speed. I bought my 2-speeder for around $250 or so from Amerimerc.com . They also have some filter/pump combo's on their website, some for under $400. and free shipping!

disclaimer: I am not employed by Amerimerc.com and receive no compensation whatsoever from them, etc etc etc.

Mike, your calculation is correct...I have a 24X54 and I fill to 48 to 50 inches and that is what I base my calculations on 13,500 gallons...So i think too that the 17,600 gallons is a tad high. Also I believe that 3/4 hp to 1 hp would be plenty for that pool. Julie, Check Doheny's discount water wearhouse...They have decent prices you might be able to pick something up there.

Great...thanks! Will check them out. One more question. I had to rig up the intex 633 pump that came with the pool...well...it was leaking majorly underneath where the plastic pipes were. I called intex and their sending me another one..but wont' get it for 7-10 days. And I need to be able to filter the water. So I was a bad girl and popped the bottom hose off and put some silicone caulking and some of that white plumbers tape around it and slid it back on and let it dry overnight. I connected it today and its working and not leaking. HOPEFULLY it will hold up. My question is..if it keeps holding up...and I will have the other pump/filter too....can I just connect both of them together???? Isn't the intex 633 pump a 1/2hp pump? Would connecting them together give more hp and suction? Just asking. Thought if I could do that and make it last a bit....then I would do that. I'm still gonna buy a better pump/filter..but my brain just got to thinking is all.

julie492 said:
Great...thanks! Will check them out. One more question. I had to rig up the intex 633 pump that came with the pool...well...it was leaking majorly underneath where the plastic pipes were. I called intex and their sending me another one..but wont' get it for 7-10 days. And I need to be able to filter the water. So I was a bad girl and popped the bottom hose off and put some silicone caulking and some of that white plumbers tape around it and slid it back on and let it dry overnight. I connected it today and its working and not leaking. HOPEFULLY it will hold up. My question is..if it keeps holding up...and I will have the other pump/filter too....can I just connect both of them together???? Isn't the intex 633 pump a 1/2hp pump? Would connecting them together give more hp and suction? Just asking. Thought if I could do that and make it last a bit....then I would do that. I'm still gonna buy a better pump/filter..but my brain just got to thinking is all.

I wouldn't do that...it might just create more suction so that the bigger pump just over powers the little intex pump, and then you really are just sucking water and waste from the little pump into a bigger pump and this could create air pressure problems that might be detrimental to your bigger filteration system. Honestly...I have a 2 HP for my AGP which is same size as your intex...and it is way too much suction for what I need...It came whith the package...as soon as I get my money's worth out of it, I am going to get a smaller 2speed pump with built in timer...and as far as the 633 pump...that is the pump and filter unit that is all one piece right...I never really is the pump as much as the cheap fitration system that it is attached to.

No, I was asking if I can just connect up the two intex 633 pumps together? the 633 is only a 1/2hp pump with the filter attached to it too. I was wondering if I can connect the two together(not a more stonger pump) and would it make it a little more powerful than what it is now. Intex is sending me a new 633 pump/filter combo(like the one that came with the pool) as the one I got with the pool was defective..but I was able to rig it up(seal the leak) and its working so far so good..so thought when the other one came in..is is possible to just connect the two 1/2hp 633's together...or don't do it?

Again, you might be able to do that to create a stonger flow, but as I said below, it never really is the pumps as much as the cheap filtration system...I am assuming that these are the cartridge filters, and they really are paper thing and will only filter out so much and then it just starts flowing back into the pool. What I found is that I would change the fliters about twice a week. You can only wash them out a couple of times and then they are pretty much shot...This is why they are so cheap compared to a real filter cartridge. I would still look into the sand filter...you can run the pump in combo with the sand filter and then you would have better filtering. But I am not so sure you would be able to run to pumps in line with each other...

Any of the experts here on pumps and filters have any other advice on this situation please chime in...I am not sure of the particulars of doing this is it harmful to either pump?

Beave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 1/2 hp inground pump pentair superflo (Like a 3/4hp aboveground pump) and 22" Hayward Pro sand filter...the pump ran me $220 and the filter was about $300 shipped.

As cubby and other mentioned you want an oversized filter and the hp does not matter much for most above ground pools...a 1/2 inground pump or 3/4hp above ground pump will serve you well

here are a few options on ebay

pump is a little overkill, but nice complete package for around $500

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hayward-1-5-HP-...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

This is in your price range...sand filter is a little undersized, but will do a much better job than any intex

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hayward-1-5-HP-...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

search for used options...craiglist can be your friend here...used sand filter and a new pump...local pool store can get you a cheap 3/4 abg pump for $150 and you could search for a used sand filter in the $100-$150 range

Hello I also bought an 18x48 intex soft side even and was worried about filtration (that dinky little pump)first year aug and sept took it down for the winter and in the spring,had a guy with a Bob Cat level me a 20x20 two feet down on the top end but level now.This will be our fourth summer.I live in the triad nc( GSO area)I no longer take the pool downin fact this year I practically ran that three year old dinky motor all winter can't freeze moving that much water.and as for a new bigger filter I was going sand or earth.but folks if you change the filter once in a while $5.00 and learn the bbb method (my pool can't be any clearer or sanitary) Now you will have to replace those hoses,easy at lowes or Wally world.But i have learned to love My cheap pool See my grand kids most everyday and two have learned to swim already--keep the water shallow enough for them not to be afraid.for $299.00 It's the best money I ever spent.When it pops and they do careful where you put it.I will replace it with a larger one.Only $299.00 for the pool,but so far Mama wanted the screened porch turned into a sun room with nice windows and a tile floor then the two level deck and many hours and around 7or 8 thousand dollars later we love our cheap little pool bbb and a cheap little cartridge filter will keep your pool sparkling if you do your part.A special thanks to Chem Geek he is so entertaining and HELPFUL.

The pool boy lately and loving it
PS we all cant afford the pool we would love but you can love the one you got

You can get a good, new Hayward Pro 20-22" sand filter and 1.0 hp pump for less than $300 on eBay. Assuming you have the newer Intex hose connectors that accept standard 1.5" hoses, it should be fairly easy to connect with standard hoses & clamps (instead of the Intex screw on connectors). You can probably also then re-use the Hayward if you get a new solid/metal side AGP later on.

In my experience, the little Intex filter pumps are very much underpowered, and the cartridge filters never seem to seal properly, which lets a lot of fine dirt simply flow above or below the filter and right back into your pool. You also can't connect a self-powered vacuum to the Intex filter and expect it to really do anything, if you ever decide to go that route.

Master...do you have an item number on that filter combo on ebay? Just curious as I just went through the same shopping spree and ended up with about $450 on best price...a Hayward s220t alone will run about $250 new, plus shipping

I have the same pool and run the pump about 10 hrs a day and it stays clean and clear for the 2nd year now. It is however getting a little louder though so I will be shopping for a new sand filter. Craigslist has some real good used buys on there that I have seen.

dmanb2b said:
Master...do you have an item number on that filter combo on ebay? Just curious as I just went through the same shopping spree and ended up with about $450 on best price...a Hayward s220t alone will run about $250 new, plus shipping

It's been about a year since I picked mine up, but it looks like you are right. I had to use an auction, as the buy it now prices were all around $300+ for the 18" sand filter with a pump, but I was able to get a free shipping deal at the time.

It looks like there are a few 18" w/pump still just under $300 on normal bidding, but that usually changes as the bidding time runs out. The 22's alone seem to be going for around $250, like you said, plus another ~$150 for a 1.5 HP pump!

julie492 said:
Well, we ended up not getting the metal sided pool after all. Will probably get one like that in a few years...so we went with a metal framed pool again and just got one at walmart. Dh didn't want to put up a better pool yet because he's not sure how long we will live here on his parents property. He'd rather do a more crappy pool. LOL Anyhow...we're still laying sand to make it more level and softer for the liner...but I know the pump/filter that comes with the Intex 24x52 round pool is junk. Its not going to filter the water at all.

I'm wanting to know what other pump/filter should I look at getting for it? I want something that will FILTER that water and actually MOVE the water...not just stir it around a little. Nothing outrageously priced..but nothing el cheapo either. Any suggestions????

I got the same pool at walmart and the pump is great no issues!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.