My resurfacing project

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
It's been a big week! They arrived on Tuesday morning and used 3 pumps to drain the pool. It took 1.5 hours. I was a little sad about seeing that freshly-slammed, crystal clear water flow down the backyard, but it had served its purpose as practice and point of pride.
y3mdK_ptXAX2Bx7hdZBvThsDIEqLrIdr3-PU5opylQlSXE8XsAQ7cBzEodyoPjaigJoWzThVGulgCCgmjjjHhg50pHVT7EubhVLRF7se9xuG2MTRavlNL9oed5nbOc-K2PsjhGK7PW_IXks0n73URTnh57QjpvDcMg2tIoM0Ntgojo

Demo started just after a quick lunch break. By 1:00, the pool looked like it had been dry for years. For budgetary reasons, the "vintage" sky blue tiles will remain for the near future. I don't like them, but my checking account does, and they're actually in very good shape. The demo could've been an archeologist's dream: we think we undid paint, plaster, fiberglass, paint, plaster. #moneypit

y3my6F_wOoFzM6-WjI-XViOwjt8eJ0doOAOTYgl4PyK_iWLmEQO9k6VNiuhToeduYwdPdn1ohwB5EsaZ3WSgKnWWAMZ8AmvOS-eKuzZ7PiLHekfA_viT9ZnEamQXPMuOZTY0Visdfsu5Kq_XSn7xdHqDJhOX19cZEK5MlK8YHDa4h8

On Wednesday I had this mud pit. The curing mud, whatever it is, smelled as good as it looked.

y3mQDg11MiFkDaT_glvRzlngw_d0Q01Peb9KWvDUpsH-0_3olxFwoHvM1Hzp3n0NLgLl-N76gzV-o_NmyNuAiN_o7NvhNuXAbVgZEq_vMRcqNYWdA-CR-MxVyBY0J2iyFenoxoLUGOrxB6ESEkju59NJEfuxwaK7Zqop8WPIdMzbME

I should've taken a picture of the air-exchanger the guys used. It was a massive machine that pulled the dust from the room amazingly well. They were worried about leaving dusty footprints on the tile. The kitchen was torn out 2 weeks ago - the pool guys had no idea how low my current standards of dust are!

y3mZjt3uDMdlTHTM3h0AlBJ5aff40Kjwk_wjXXHwwMA_f2993IFRm2qiHafQ5rEsUtlb_muWFGeTSeph9JDfTRBMaSUVWXFGCW7F4Mpm9v5FrSVOqconGWkEzlBbVVk5mnHO4t-m20m5NdIG2EOplGxiC4bvYWWasTksqO0jc6TdAo

Diamond Brite Blue was applied on Thursday. I was initially panicked when I saw NO evidence of quartz/aggregate in the surface - I even called SGM to discuss it. They talked me off the ledge.

They began the fill on Friday morning. It took 17 hours, which included asking Siri for several dead-of-night wake-up calls to check on it. In hindsight, I should've added another or another couple of hoses.

y3moAdX4AOKKDZ7yIcWhbCvun45iwciU2dpG53gVD24gECMLK-qmIwIhOuO-5AiWMJ5ELW8GqHnCVYBuTdXLiagXREBocKwDnIY73pxAelfRfzEvMrFsjWUxun5DjiJrPN2y6V2u1eTyzzIlTrvDejsnl4HF-vRIsoV8JoyDI9ZAE4

I don't have an "after" shot. This is after the first brushing, which was another moment of panic when the perfect water clouded up. It's SO different than an algae cloud - this cloud was gone within an hour.

y3mBk_LYny48UJDx0PzS01-AvlQJ3HBM3IleNFlHRlkvc7e3P2MAeE3ot9M08vMddKHtrjDvoQ8iggaOkChvArmRUCKCweoAul3-7c5CQx2AQi9E1_OLadf9m3MCcYxG_nIL4jmimyoqPV1yjbWyAuWe6kx5zRiO864jx9Ia1NHkbM

A new ladder comes tomorrow.

Neat, that is very deep for a small pool. Is it completely indoors?

Yes, it's more or less in the center of the house. I never thought I would dive into it. The ledge on the deep end is very narrow, but when the pool was empty it looked even deeper. I wondered about diving toward the deep end instead of away from it. (I probably won't - I hate water in my ears) :)

Awesome. Fascinating pool layout, really interesting that it's indoors. Anyway to post a few pics of the pool room? I'm curious to see what it looks like. Where is the equipment, in a closet?

Do you have issues with condensation? Or is there a special venting system installed?

Thanks. It's definitely a unique home. There are still too many projects for "after" pics, but here are some the prev owners posted on Zillow:

y3mx3arJoyUfAxSvHGyBPGwY8zRNAnWXEZHcdziOv3w52fuard3NRqXO6bjocMa_7QtOqmQ4AzF66RvAeCSNcaYW--ASuy-GtcfDkhanJ4jwXHz8fWIhIdjMrkzXGkYMg0CAm2I7L_-HMzO9u_jqr4hhqpcT8Jlutd6EkzEUW-heWg

y3m_QEv_19ftb2BxjAZr0L1Hd8cGbGmD6xnZR9GJOqSpgfiaedM_R697lL-OUkpA5eDp_OlGBEM57liIowhtZP8fDhEN7_q2pUthrKC7p4hG192CdPxdWKM447uMuzrOyqXx7XyCxkRUqeN0XMYjdGePJu5D2aV_kJPLao73hO9uOA

The equipment resides in a utility room on the lower level. It's underneath the pool room closets. There's a VS exhaust fan with an auto-damper in the ceiling and a commercial rooftop HVAC unit that sits outside on the other side of the white wall. The white wall contains ductwork with vents along the window sill.

I haven't been in the home through a winter yet, so I don't what to expect from humidity when the walls and windows are cold. The previous owners didn't use the cover much, but I think I might cover it when the water is warm. The heater is sized such that it can heat the water quickly. (in fact, when I first saw the pool heater, I mistook it for a whole-house boiler)

Thanks for the additional pictures. Very unique house, I love it. Looks like one of the bedrooms looks straight into the pool? I think the only problem I'd have there is my wife would hate the noise of me swimming at night while she's trying to sleep.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the only problem I'd have there is my wife would hate the noise of me swimming at night while she's trying to sleep.

Maybe you could get her to join you by selling a night swim in a pest/frog-free pool! (I actually found a frog in the skimmer last month after keeping the patio door open for 30 minutes. The little guy's intention of a quick swim didn't work out so well, but generally speaking....)

Thanks Kim, I studied the start-up article before the project started, and it was some of the discrepancies between that and the mfr recommendations that concerned me. I'm still not sure why the mfr chooses to post recommendations from customers instead of experts. That strikes me like Ford saying something like: "people tell us to recommend 5w-50 oil in our engines!"

Maybe you could get her to join you by selling a night swim in a pest/frog-free pool! (I actually found a frog in the skimmer last month after keeping the patio door open for 30 minutes. The little guy's intention of a quick swim didn't work out so well, but generally speaking....)

Yes, swimming at night means swimming with the crickets and whatever other weird bugs decide they like the pool light. Indoor would eliminate that.

For a stretch I was pulling mice and rats out of the skimmer basket. My last one was in June. I went to grab a big "leaf" out of the skimmer basket and to my surprise the "leaf" was furry. Not a sensation or experience I wish to relive. I guess this is why the baskets have those handles on the top...

That beats the 4 foot water moccasin we had climb out of our pool a couple of months ago. By the time I got inside and back with my pistol, it had vacated the area. A cloudy pool for us is just not an option. Not being able to see the bottom has serious risk with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.