Aug 10, 2016
Fairfield, CA
CYA 90
CH 450
TA 80
PH 7.2
FC nothing. Not sure how to test
Used Taylor k2006 kit
Had husband drain 1/4 of pool and CYA still 90. This was 2 days ago, and he is too busy to drain more right now (I have no idea how to drain it myself). Because pool turning green, I panicked and I just put 2 gal of liquid chlorine in after throwing in two large caps of PH Plus. I know I am wasting chemicals, but I am determined to master the mystery of caring for the pool. Help this novice idiot please.

Welcome to TFP :)

Sounds like you already have a good test kit. Now is the time to do some studying ;)

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

To rid the pool of algae you will need to follow what we call SLAM process. This is a process. Not a one time addition of chlorine to get to shock level. You need to raise your chlorine to shock level for your CYA. And KEEP it there until you pass three tests: clear water, CC .5 or less, overnight chlorine lost test of less than 1.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

How have you been chlorinating (not in your signature)? If you've been using pucks, that is why your CYA is so high. Probably time to switch to liquid chlorine (bleach). Use the pool math link at the top of the web page to help you calculate chemical additions.

Take a look at the articles I linked starting with ABC's and post up questions.

Well done on getting the test kit!!! That is awesome start to taking care of your pool. It will get better after this. Right now you need to SLAM your pool. Here is the link to that:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Here are a set of links for the basics of TFP. It is a lot of info. so take it slow and questions as they come up:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

These links will also help once the SLAM is done.

:hug: we are here for you!

:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.