Blue Stone Coping is stained

Rsmith

Apr 29, 2016
Central Md.
Our coping has picked up a few stains this summer (new pool). I'm thinking its either from the bleach that I used to chlorinate before the SWG was turned on or its from the Acid that I add to keep PH in check. Has anyone else had this issue and do you have any idea on how to clean it?

I agree that at first glace it appears as staining, but honestly I don't think it is.

I think it is just some natural variation in the stone (and the iron oxide present that rusts and turns orange). Your bluestone is a fairly consistent blue color. But that is not indicative of the stone in nature. PA Bluestone has natural color variation from rusts, to browns to blues. If you look in my build thread (link in my signature) on page 2, you'll see an extreme example of that variation within one stone in particular. While much of the variation is generally between stones it does occur within a stone too.

The following link and the link within it to "Rust on Bluestone" does a fantastic job of explaining it. Honestly, stone is natural and I wouldn't fight nature but appreciate it.

http://blog.stonecareonline.org/cleaning-rust-stains-on-bluestone-countering-misinformation-on-the-web/

Maybe not helpful but I've gotta say, beautiful choice for coping, deck, and step tiles!
My marbella has stained some, but in a different way, it's a light stone and a table that was rusted on the bottom caused rust to stain it and some plants that were on it caused a black staining. I sealed it from inside out, not a topical coating, which I was told still allows the stone to stain, but still protects it.

Looks like acid staining to me, has the appearance of droplets that have hit the stone, and one of the cobble stones behind it in the 1st pic looks stained also, because you mentioned that you added acid to the pool from the pools edge, and as easy as it is to spill some while doing that, would be what i would want to know happened, not that my stones are going to turn orange over time.

Because that style, and color coping stone works very well with the rest of the color scheme around the pool area ( blue )
I would expect my pool builder to explain to me that if i chose this coping material i would have to understand that the material can bleed an orange color that looks like a stain, and will make your wife cry.

That way i will most likely choose another material that wont do that, because the last thing i would want is to find out my carefully designed pool and blue color coordinated coping stone also doubles as a "mood ring"

If this is a natural effect that the blue stones change color, i wouldn't be happy about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.