Converting to Salt

300winmag

Gold Supporter
Aug 2, 2016
Dallas, TX
Hi guys,

Our pool is 22 days old, and the builder added salt today. Question 1) I see that PebbleTec says to wait 29 days to add salt, so should I be concerned?

Also, our pool is 16,000 gallons. The builder added 280 pounds of salt, and will come back tomorrow to fire up the SWG. Question 2) Does 280lbs seem low? They did not test the water prior to adding the salt.

Once they complete the "install," I will follow the TFPC method per the "Water Balance for SWGs" article. I have my K-2006 and the recommended chemicals needed. I will also fine tune the SWG settings per the article.

Thanks

Well, they should have waiting the full amount of time but plenty of PBs just dump salt in right away. The salt recommendation is just that, a recommendation. Even the NPC guidelines don't make it a requirement.

280lbs of salt equates to 2100ppm. However, if they were adding lots of acid and baking soda to the water during startup, your initial salinity could easily be hundreds of ppm. Your SWG likely only needs about 2800ppm on the low end to operate so they may be aiming low since your salinity will rise over time given your location. Most people in the southwest find that, once the salt level is set, there's really almost no additions necessary. I haven't added salt to my pool in years.

There was no adding of baking soda or acid at the initial startup. Just the "normal" chlorine and acid per their "basic" test kit.
Thanks for the info. I'll let them do their thing, and take it from there. 280lbs just seemed low to me, so I wanted to double check.

Thanks again

My suggestion would be that you read through our Pool School and you invest in your own test kit, including a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit. You should be testing and balancing your own water rather than relying on PBs, pool service companies or pool stores. Then, you can learn to test and balance your own pool and never have to wonder what the pool guy is doing.

Good luck.

I already read through Pool School, hence having the proper test kit (K-2006). Should have also mentioned that I have a K-1766.

Maybe you missed it, but as stated previously I will test and maintain my own water. Since its a new pool, the PB wants to go through their paces. Once they leave, I'll take it from there.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.