Getting late in the year and a CYA question

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
We have some cool weather and lots of rain here in Kentucky the last few weeks. It is supposed to get in the 90s again later this week. I just checked my CYA, and it is 60. Should I bring it up to 70 this late in the year? I will convert over to liquid chlorine in middle of September to give my SWG a break and save on the cell, as the water temps start to drop.

Seeing that you will be going to manual dosing soon, I would try it as-is, but keep an eye on your FC demand. If it seems that the SWG can't keep up, add the 10ppm of CYA.

Ok, I had planned on switching to liquid chlorine this week to give my SWG a rest. Summertime is not letting go just yet, as temps this week are forecast in the 90s for 4 days. Pool temp is staying about 77-79 range (it may go up this week). With SWG running, I test every morning and adjust my SWG output from there. Since I have never used liquid chlorine before, do I need to change my ritual on testing? Should I test in the morning and add, or should I test in the evening and add. Should I just go ahead and switch over now? My CYA is still hovering around 60. Anything else I need to know about switching over?????

Today I switch to bleach, and I will be testing and adding tonight for the first time. Do I use the dosage of chlorine for a SWG type pool or the liquid chlorine type pool, going by the CYA charts? Probably a stupid question, but I want to make sure!!

When I looked at Poolmath, the non-swg had a higher minimum level. In my example, SWG was min of 3 while non-swg was min of 5. Guessing its because the swg releases chlorine slowly throughout the day. Adding bleach will raise chlorine all at once, then deplete throughout the day based on sun, etc. Idea is to dose to higher level, then it drifts down to your next testing, when you replenish. Goal is to never get below a minimum level.

If you let it get too low, for too long, you risk algae growth starting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once the water drops below 60 the FC consumption will be much lower. I didn't really pay attention but it seems like I added a gallon every 2 or 3 weeks last winter. Probably even less in Jan/Feb.

I checked FC tonight and it was at 8. Dropped .5 in 24 hours since switch to bleach last night. Cloudy all day and water temp was 70. I didn't add any tonight. Run the pump for 4 hours. Nothing wrong with that is there??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.