Questions about Intex sand filter pump

Spades

Oct 3, 2014
Riverside, CA
Bought a used Intex sand filter last year on craigslist, and this weekend i finally converted from cartridge type filter to a sand filter because the original Summer Escapes return hose developed a crack in the accordion section, so i figured the time has come! :) So everything is in place and the conversion went pretty smooth. Actually i dont see why people dislike the cartridge type. It worked well for me, and Im on my 3rd season with it (1st year was my learning season). The trick is to be generous with the chlorine and stay well above the minimum per CYA amounts and all should be fine... and its been working for me.

Anyway, onto the sand pump... The pressure gauge on the sand pump is only 6psi, that seems quite low, however it appears to be flowing fine. Plenty of water gushing out, should i be concerned with it or just use 6psi as my baseline and monitor its increases from there? And my other question is regarding deterioration on the equipment. Everything sits in the sun about 8 hours per day and i worry that the tank or the pump housing will deteriorate and start cracking. I was thinking of building some kind of housing for it as to protect it from the sun but dont see any threads about it. Am i overthinking all this or is the equipment made to withstand the sun day-in & day-out? Just trying to take care of my new hobby :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the psi. That's probably your new baseline. Just keep an eye on it from here and see. As for the equipment pad, yes, it's good to protect it from the sun "if" you can. While the equipment is designed to be out in the elements, protecting should help to preserve the exterior of the equipment. Below is an example of what I did. Others have created much more extravagant shelters.

Ahhh a remote setup, i like it! I may look into that as i have a perfect spot for it about 20 feet away. I will have to study up on adapting rigid pipe with flexible Intex threaded hose to accomodate the pool flexing. I was originally thinking of an enclosure type box around it since my dog already relieved himself on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.