Venting an ODK under covered patio

Jun 22, 2016
FL
We are thinking ahead with our covered patio/lanai build. It is going to be 40x16 with essentially room for 3 activities: lounging, dining, and cooking. The best option for layout is to build an outdoor kitchen with grill in the far corner which is fully enclosed on 2 sides (Since our home is on a zero lot line, that side of the patio will be a full privacy wall attached to the roof and column/post). The grill would likely be up against one of the two enclosed sides vs the open air facing the pool.

Do we need to somehow vent/exhaust this through the roof or through the privacy wall? I'm not sure the two open sides will provide enough ventilation and I'm afraid to char my brand new covered patio.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

What kind of cooking gear are you planning for the ODK? Gas grille, charcoal, smoker??

I'm always a fan of good exhaust because I find it both annoying to cook with smoke blowing in your face and you don't want to smoke out guests sitting nearby.

I would definitely add an exhaust fan if the grille will be against a fully enclosed wall. Even with just a propane grille you'll get a lot of smoke.

Your pool builder had Pool Studio all along??? Why in the world did you have me do all of that work?
Hi Brian. No, our PB doesn't have it. This was an old rendering from another PB that we did not select. Unfortunately the PB we selected does not have this and is a bit more old school. But we got a lot first hand references for their work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's our vent hood. I think having them is probably a good thing, but most places don't require them by code.

beautiful! What is the width of the pavilion/covered patio?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry if that came off harsh but you wouldn't believe how many times I've been burned by people that were being less than candid .

No worries, Brian. I am very appreciative of the assistance you provided.

My grill is also located under a very wide and tall vaulted structure. We installed a vent hood and also 2 exhaust fans in the ceiling above. I should have purchased a stronger exhaust fan for the hood. If we cook alot of smoke producing meats it can smoke us out, even with all 3 vents going.

My grill is also located under a very wide and tall vaulted structure. We installed a vent hood and also 2 exhaust fans in the ceiling above. I should have purchased a stronger exhaust fan for the hood. If we cook alot of smoke producing meats it can smoke us out, even with all 3 vents going.

We're in a similar situation, but minus the added ventilation. Grill is right up against a big opening, but the ceiling angle really tends to grab the exhaust and can smoke us out with a grill full of burgers.

We're talking with our pool electrician now about a side project to retro-fit an in-line exhaust fan set up. My original thought was to add a whole house fan right above the grill, but he made the point that it could be pretty loud and recommended looking at in-line fans so the motor could be put in a more remote area.

plat.

Thanks Plat. We will have 3 outdoor fans with 10k cfm each. They will put off some serious air. But I also don't want to blow the grill smoke back into the patio. I like the idea of the exhaust and it will save a lot of money doing it during roofing construction on the patio. The only problem is we aren't doing the ODK with the pool and not sure exactly where it will be located yet. Hopefully once they start excavation we can get a better feel for the space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to elaborate more on our build and situation. We don't have jumbo ceiling fans, but we do have 2 moderately sized ones located at the highest point of the ceiling. When the ceiling catches grill smoke, the fans actually make things worse by forcing the smoke down... I think direct outward venting is really the best solution in most cases if it's possible.

plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.