Hayward CL200 Automatic Chlorine Feeder O-Ring Needs Frequent Replacement

Aug 22, 2015
Commack, NY
First of all, yes I did do a search and found some old posts but thought I'd throw this out there again. My Hayward CL200 Automatic Chlorine Feeder needs its O-Ring replaced about 3 times a season. I live in NY, and have a 25,000 gallon inground. I've tried original Hayward rings, and secondary market rings, with lube and without lube, from a pool store, pool supplier online and bags of 5 from eBay. I really haven't hit a combination of things that make the ring last the season, let alone more than one season. What's the current theory behind o-ring longevity? Thanks, Dave

My suggestion Get rid of it? Have had my pool for 20 or so years. Have gone thru 4 of these "automatic chlorinators". My problems was "O" rings, not being able to get cover off and leaks. One year couldn't get cover off, so brought to pool store. He tried, couldn't get it off. He went into the back room, came out with cover in hand. Asked him how he got it off, told me he put in a vise. I did the same thing for the first 2. Had to take all plumbing apart. Don't think it's suppose to work that way? I have had 4 of these in those years. Sorry!

Well that's just part of having a pool. Chlorinators house a caustic material that constantly attacks its surroundings. Don't get a Rainbow Chlorinator as suggested above as a Pentair dealer I can say they're junk. You think an O-ring bugs you..... don't get me started on the check 90 lower fitting woes of that machine. We've been experimenting with different models and to be honest you pick your poison, every chlorinator out there is going to be going through parts. I find that most of the time I come to one that's constantly having O-ring issues there's 2 factors involved. 1) The homeowner runs the pump 2-4 hours a day which the other hours the tabs are soaking in water creating gas that attacks the canister and 2) The canister is jammed full to the brim with tabs. You shouldn't be going through more than 2-3 tabs a week so having 10 tabs in the chlorinator is just hard on the dude.

Try a couple floating dispensers (not sure your gal.) if the chlorinator keeps eating O-rings.

GL!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.