Intellipro VS-3050 motor gone after 3 years ?

durango118

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2012
Hi
We had a pool done in Nov 2012, installation included Intelli pro VS-3050 pump. About a year and half after installation the LED screen on the pump went black. Not sure what that part is called but since we purchased 3 pcs of Pentair equipment it was covered under warranty and was replaced free of charge. Fast forward to about a week ago, I hear a loud whirring coming from the pump. Our pool guy says it's the motor. I've had pools before and have never had a motor go out so quickly. Today I got down and looked underneath the motor. See attached photos. Not sure what I"m looking at, but it's all encrusted in something. Not sure if there was a leak where it attaches to the basket part. I have no idea. The pool guy says we should install a new motor at about $500. I'm not sure if I should do that with the way this looks underneath. We do have an Intelliclor Salt generator as well. Is that salt I'm looking at? I'm embarrassed to say I really don't know what the deal is. I'm hoping that someone on here can take a look at these photos and give me a good guess as to what they think may have happened.
Thanks in advance.
Carol

Attachments

• pump 1.JPG
    pump 1.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 29
  • pump 2.JPG
    pump 2.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 29
  • pump 3.JPG
    pump 3.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 29
Looks like the shaft seal failed, letting water past the housing and back to the motor. I'd say the most common culprit of a failed shaft seal is running the pump dry. It can also happen if lots of sand or abrasive debris is vacuumed through the skimmer.

Along with replacing the motor, you should consider complete pump replacement. If the drive goes again, you're looking at putting another 600-700 into that pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.