Leak at housing/seal plate

Aug 14, 2016
Eden Prairie Mn
I replaced my seal assembly, and all gaskets today. I now have a very small leak, more of a seep at the top, center of the joint between the housing and seal plate. I have taken the bolts out, reapplied lube to the housing gasket, and bolted back together being very careful to make sure everything is seated correctly. No matter what I do I still get a very slow seep of water on top.

Should I try silicone on the ribbon gasket? Could something else cause this (was not leaking before). Is this something I even need to worry about since the leak is so small/slow? I'm a perfectionist and have taken it apart 4 times now. Driving me crazy!

Thank you!

If you still have the old seals and gaskets make sure you have the right size and thickness, and that the shaft seal is seated correctly. Also inspect the shaft seal for any hairline cracks. If you touched the ceramic surface of the shaft seal with your bare hands wipe the seal down with rubbing alcohol and re-seat the seal using a soft cloth to protect it from skin oils.

I checked them before installing and everything was the same. I tried not to touch the ceramic and did seat it firmly with a cloth. Before taking the whole thing apart I want to confirm the shaft seal could cause a very slow seep from the top of
the housing. Before replacing, my leak was from underneath. That leak has stopped.

image.jpg Here is a picture after the pump has been running for 5 mins. Very small leak right in the middle that is hard to see. The large drop comes from the same center leak and rolls across and eventually down the side. It is not the primary source of the leak.

If this is the Hayward Super II pump the housing develops a crack right in the middle just below the groove the housing gasket sits in. If you pull pump motor out and look up in the center you'll see a crack. Sometimes using a small mirror you can look at that area easier.I'm not sure which model you have, centurion is the motor manufacturer

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure why the housing was Hayward and the motor Centurion. We purchased the home a year ago and the equipment is old so the labels have worn off. I believe it is a Hayward Super II with the centurion motor. I was going to take it apart this afternoon and I will check for a crack. I assume that means purchasing a new housing? From the schematic it looks like I can buy the housing only and reuse the rest of the parts - correct?

Thanks for the help!

So, I decided to pull the pump apart again and work through the steps recommended above. Pulled the gaskets from the trash and they were not exactly the same. The diffuser gasket was the same size but made from a different material. The old one felt almost like neoprene, the new one was hard rubber. The new housing gasket was slightly wider than the old. I put the two old gaskets back on and tightened up the bolts. No leaks so far. Lesson learned check sizes more carefully in the future. Thanks Zea 3 and everyone else as well!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.