New Pool Build in Chandler AZ

Jun 5, 2016
Chandler/AZ
Figured it would be fun to document the progress of our pool build and hopefully it gives insight to others by way of design or questions. I had been lurking on this forum for awhile prior to us starting the interview selection process for deciding on a pool builder. We moved into a new home at the beginning of March (new construction) and swore to ourselves that we’d never go another summer in AZ without a pool. After we got our finances back in check and the many projects inside the house were being completed, we started interviewing pool builders in May. We got 5 bids and they were all pretty close to each other. We explained what our vision was to each of the builders, so the basic concept was the same in each of the designs, and the quotes were all relatively close to each other. The one we chose had what we felt the best design of the group and they have one of the better reputations in the Phoenix area. We signed the contract on 6/18/16 and then went through a couple change orders. Dig started 7/25/16 and things have progressed slowly since that time due to a heavy rain we got on 8/2/16 which set us back about 2 weeks. On to the details:

Specs
Perimeter: 119
Depths: 3.5x5x4
Dimensions: 33'8" x 20' on the baja bench side & 16' on the table side
Interior Area: 1032
Gallons: 16,680

Equipment
Hayward 60DE filter, EcoStar Variable Speed Pump, Hayward P4 Programmable Remote Control System w/puck, Gold line salt chlorinator, Wave Force Venturi Skimmer, Wave Force venturi looped return system (8 returns), Hayward Color Logic Light, Paralevel Auto Water leveler, Dedicated vacuum (however I'll be using a Doheny Discovery robot cleaner that I bought last month while it was on sale).

Features
Oversized baja bench with two bubblers (for the kids - 2.5 year old and another due in Nov.), 42”x24” rectangle table with seating area (for the adults), +6” +18” +6” feature wall with stacked stone and 4’ sheer decent, Arctic Sea Glass Pebble interior finish, travertine decking.
And now on to the pictures which I know everyone loves, myself included.

Design and Material Selections

In one of the change orders, we increased size of the baja bench as we felt it was a little small at first. The overall baja bench size is 8' deep at its deepest and 13'8" at its widest. Now the baja bench is inline with two pillars on our covered patio. This ultimately added 2' to the whole width of the pool. I never did get revised renderings after that change order though, so these aren't the most accurate depiction of the overall size.

White quartz stacked stone, waterline tile, Boulevard Lite travertine, and 1”x1” glass mesh tile for table top

Pool builder’s exclusive finish: Arctic Sea Glass Pebble (pebble tech finish with sea glass and abalone shell)

Layout

Dig

Day 1 of excavation, the equipment shows up

The excavation took about 2.5 days. The little excavator took awhile to get through the earth; slowly but surely it got the job done though. And the bobcat got a flat on the end of the second day, so that delayed things a little further.

Aftermath of rainstorm
Plumbing was scheduled for 8/3/16 and we got an epic monsoon storm on 8/2/16. Here's a picture of the rain that night and how quickly it turned the overflow basin next to us into a lake. We felt so helpless watching the backyard fill with water and ultimately start eroding into the hole.

As you can see, the plumbers got most of the work done in one day, but we had to wait until the rain water subsided and the excavators to come back and and fix the mess.

Steel
This guy worked alone and got most of the job done on Friday 8/19 and then spent another 5 hours on Saturday morning to complete it.

That's where we leave off as of now. I will be contact the PB tomorrow as I'm only seeing 3 bars for the bond beam. One of the reasons we chose this builder is that they stated they do a 5 bar bond beam. Electrical is supposed to happen 8/22-8/23, then pre-shotcrete inspection 8/24. If all goes according to plan and no issues at the inspection, shotcrete is supposed to happen 8/25 or 8/26. I'll keep updating this post as we make progress. Thanks for letting us share our story!

HI! This is going to be a fun one to watch! I almost cried for you when I saw the rain picture :( and not a thing you could do.

It looks like they got it all fixed up though.

Let us know what the PB says about the bond beam.

I LOVE your design and pics for the finishes! PRETTY! You are going to love that table I bet! The shelf for the kids is awesome.

Thanks for sharing and letting us come along for the ride!

:kim:

If you want to see what your pebble will look like, drive up to Mountain Bridge (McKellips near Elsworth) and go to the Residence 5 model. That's the exact pool they have in the brochure they gave you.

residence%205%20pool_zpse1hfbm1u.png

residence%205%20pool%20night_zpswvaneu71.png

Welcome to TFP, you will love it here..:lovetfp:

Nice looking pool.. I'll bet it was a little challenging to get all that equipment into such a narrow spot.

Thanks for the pics, we always enjoy them, and it is just one of the reasons so many people visit this site...

Jim R.

HI! This is going to be a fun one to watch! I almost cried for you when I saw the rain picture :( and not a thing you could do.

It looks like they got it all fixed up though.

Let us know what the PB says about the bond beam.

I LOVE your design and pics for the finishes! PRETTY! You are going to love that table I bet! The shelf for the kids is awesome.

Thanks for sharing and letting us come along for the ride!

:kim:
Thanks for the comments KimKats. Will let you know what they say about the missing 2 bars to make up the 5 bar bond beam.

I love how you broke up the straight lines with the curved sun shelf. Gives the pool a bit more character. Storing this one away for inspiration! Good luck!

Thanks grumpiebk. That's the curvature of the shelf and steps are what set this design apart. All others incorporated hard lines, and this was an idea that the designer thought up and helped win their business.

If you want to see what your pebble will look like, drive up to Mountain Bridge (McKellips near Elsworth) and go to the Residence 5 model. That's the exact pool they have in the brochure they gave you.

We actually did make our way over there to look at all of the models and see all of the same pools they showcase in their brochure prior to our materials selection appointment. Unfortunately the pools were all filthy and it was hard to gauge the subtle differences between something like Arctic and Mediterranean because of how dirty they all were. It did help reassure our decision to forgo the in-floor cleaners though!

Welcome to TFP, you will love it here..:lovetfp:

Nice looking pool.. I'll bet it was a little challenging to get all that equipment into such a narrow spot.

Thanks for the pics, we always enjoy them, and it is just one of the reasons so many people visit this site...

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. We had to pay a bit more money in plumbing and electrical runs to get all of the equipment on that side, but since our A/C unit is over there and that side is basically already rendered useless, we wanted it over there to keep it out of the way.

is that travertine color lighter like an ivory or medium like a walnut color? ive never heard of that specific name.

I'd say this is more like a light mocha color. We opted for this one since it was smoother and a lot less porous than the level 1 travertine selections they had. I'm sure this honed finish will be more slippery, but the more porous ones get so dirty looking after awhile and change appearance. Hoping this selection will look the same many years down the road. Here are a couple more pictures from the showroom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
8/22/16 Update
Emailed PB regarding the missing steel on the 5 bar bond beam at 7:20AM. Site supervisor showed up at 7:45AM as I was leaving for work and confirmed that the bond beam was not complete. They've rescheduled the steel guys to come back out tomorrow to complete the work. This begs the question; had I not pointed this out, would they have just proceeded as is? Must say I was pleased that they showed up right away and kept us informed throughout the day regarding the scheduling.

Electrical was completed today as well. First city inspection is scheduled for Wednesday 8/24. Here are some new pictures from today. Looking forward to everything staying on schedule and getting shotcrete 8/25 or 8/26!

IMG_3534_zpsop7nfrck.jpg

Finally had shotcrete done today! We initially didn't get cleared on the pre-shotcrete inspection because the plumbing wasn't holding pressure. So that got fixed on the 25th, then the city came back out for inspection on the 26th. Shotcrete was then pushed to Monday the 29th. We were super excited when they showed up at 5:30AM and got to work. Then unfortunately they discovered the plumbing in the main drain was not centered, so they packed up and took off to another job. Emailed the PB right away and the supervisor was on site at 7:30. Luckily they were able to get the plumber out that same day to center the pipe and got shotcrete rescheduled for today, 8/30. It's been a little frustrating dealing with these setbacks, however the PB has been very responsive and remedies the issues quickly. Here are the pictures from today. The guys worked from 5:30-11:30AM.

Also, we are going to switch up some of our material selections on Thursday 9/1. If everything goes to plan, they'll be back out to form the top of the concrete table, do the coping, deck, and stacked stone for the raised bond beam sections.

That's impressive that the shotcrete guys pulled out because the drain wasn't centered. I've seen many times on here, after shotcrete, where people are left with this or that out of place per the plan or per common sense. Hurray for them.

I really like your pool design. It has a great sense of balance while not being symmetrical and mix of geometric and freeform attributes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.