Pentair QuickTouch II wireless remote losing connection.

Aug 11, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Posting this to help others using the Pentair QuickTouch II 4-function remote for their automation system and finding that the remote seems to lose connection to the powercenter on occasion. Symptoms are a remote that lights on button press but won't switch on features and functions even though the powercenter manual controls work fine.

The first time this happened was during a rainstorm with a quick power outage that had me believing something reset the powercenter, but last weekend it happened while out at the poolside, working one minute and then remote stopped working at random. I called our pool builder who walked me through the Powercenter comm link reset process, which worked handily. This last time took a bit more troubleshooting, but got the job done. Full process steps listed below, and I hope it saves a call-out for someone using this equipment:

1- at the powercenter is a receiver (looks like a tan remora screwed to a nearby surface) pull up on the remoras "tail" and it will remove the rain cover. Now you can see the circuitboard housing the receiver electronics. On the lower left corner is a tiny blue or white switch which when pushed will reset the receiver encoding to listen for a transmitter. Push that button once, and a small red LED above it will flash three times, signaling that it's now listening. Now, push BOTH bottom buttons on your QuickTouch remote which correspond to Function 4 (both ON and OFF buttons) at the same time and hold them until the remote activation light on the remote flashes three times. Now release the buttons, and push any Function ON. If the function switches on, you're done. If nothing changed, go to step 2.

2- at the bottom of the circuitboard is a wiring block which has the command control wires screwed into it. This block removes if you pull straight out. Pull the wiring block free from the circuitboard and count to 10 (this kills power to the receiver). Plug it back in and perform Step 1, above. If no-go, try Step 3, below.

3- unplug the wiring block, and with it unplugged, enter the powercenter Menu - Settings - QuickTouch - Reset Wireless Address, and press the right arrow. This will kill the current address in use, and setup the receiver to listen for a new one. Plug in the wireblock, press the blue or white button, and finish up Step 1, from above. This fixed my connection issue, for now, anyway.

Caveat: if your system works today - DONT MESS WITH IT! These reset steps are a configuration attempt you can do yourself if you lose wireless connectivity and don't want to call a pool tech to work on it (likely for a fee). If they work for you, great! If not, it didn't break anything because it wasn't working anyway, and I guess your next call will be to your pool builder or pool tech...

If anyone has any thoughts on how the QuickTouch II interfaces with the powercenter, I'm all ears. I suspect it's some variant of 802.11x based on the antennas and ties to other automation apps. I'm hoping it's just a fluke that this happened twice in as many months, and hoping nobody's hacking into my wireless network and killing my connections.

Reactions: PAVS342001
I've been searching for fixes all day, and thankfully finally stumbled upon this working fix. My receiver LED was solid red and wouldn't make the 3 flashes. Removing the wiring block as instructed in #2 worked like a charm. Thank you so much!!

Hey LongDuck,
The QuickTouch II isn't 802.11, so nobody's going to hack into your network on it... although they may be able to see when your spa kicks on - and then show up for the party ;)

The QuickTouch II transmits signals at around 418Mhz to the transceiver that's mounted outside. The transceiver converts those into pentair commands and sends them to the outdoor controller via the comm port, which uses rs-485. The original quicktouch works the same way and uses a Linx rf module at 418 Mhz.

Hope that helps!
Tom

Last edited:
Hey LongDuck,
The QuickTouch II isn't 802.11, so nobody's going to hack into your network on it... although they may be able to see when your spa kicks on - and then show up for the party ;)

The QuickTouch II transmits signals at around 418Mhz to the transceiver that's mounted outside. The transceiver converts those into pentair commands and sends them to the outdoor controller via the comm port, which uses rs-485. The original quicktouch works the same way and uses a Linx rf module at 418 Mhz.

Hope that helps!
Tom
I had a problem after installing this unit. Called Pentair but got a new tech who didn't know the circuit well enough to troubleshoot.
If you are having an intermittent problem, the answer may be the fifteen ft of 24 wire gage that comes with the remote. Its so tiny that it can break when you tighten the set screws in the wire blocks.
Next time unit gos out, kill all power to power center and access connection blocks in power panel and receiver. Using multimeter check continuity on each of the four wires from panel to receiver.
A quick check would be to pull the rain cover on the receiver and check to make sure you get 16 vdc between the black and red wires when the power center is powered on.
I will change out my wiring if it happens again to a 18 gage thermostat wire, and toss the 24 gage Crud.

Posting this to help others using the Pentair QuickTouch II 4-function remote for their automation system and finding that the remote seems to lose connection to the powercenter on occasion. Symptoms are a remote that lights on button press but won't switch on features and functions even though the powercenter manual controls work fine.

The first time this happened was during a rainstorm with a quick power outage that had me believing something reset the powercenter, but last weekend it happened while out at the poolside, working one minute and then remote stopped working at random. I called our pool builder who walked me through the Powercenter comm link reset process, which worked handily. This last time took a bit more troubleshooting, but got the job done. Full process steps listed below, and I hope it saves a call-out for someone using this equipment:

1- at the powercenter is a receiver (looks like a tan remora screwed to a nearby surface) pull up on the remoras "tail" and it will remove the rain cover. Now you can see the circuitboard housing the receiver electronics. On the lower left corner is a tiny blue or white switch which when pushed will reset the receiver encoding to listen for a transmitter. Push that button once, and a small red LED above it will flash three times, signaling that it's now listening. Now, push BOTH bottom buttons on your QuickTouch remote which correspond to Function 4 (both ON and OFF buttons) at the same time and hold them until the remote activation light on the remote flashes three times. Now release the buttons, and push any Function ON. If the function switches on, you're done. If nothing changed, go to step 2.

2- at the bottom of the circuitboard is a wiring block which has the command control wires screwed into it. This block removes if you pull straight out. Pull the wiring block free from the circuitboard and count to 10 (this kills power to the receiver). Plug it back in and perform Step 1, above. If no-go, try Step 3, below.

3- unplug the wiring block, and with it unplugged, enter the powercenter Menu - Settings - QuickTouch - Reset Wireless Address, and press the right arrow. This will kill the current address in use, and setup the receiver to listen for a new one. Plug in the wireblock, press the blue or white button, and finish up Step 1, from above. This fixed my connection issue, for now, anyway.

Caveat: if your system works today - DONT MESS WITH IT! These reset steps are a configuration attempt you can do yourself if you lose wireless connectivity and don't want to call a pool tech to work on it (likely for a fee). If they work for you, great! If not, it didn't break anything because it wasn't working anyway, and I guess your next call will be to your pool builder or pool tech...

If anyone has any thoughts on how the QuickTouch II interfaces with the powercenter, I'm all ears. I suspect it's some variant of 802.11x based on the antennas and ties to other automation apps. I'm hoping it's just a fluke that this happened twice in as many months, and hoping nobody's hacking into my wireless network and killing my connections.
Thank You Sir!! Got mine back up in seconds. WAY better than waiting for hours on tech support. You ROCK!

Thank you LongDuck for posting the steps to reset the QuickTouch II. Unfortunately it didn't work on my QTII with EasyTouch Lite.
In step 1, my receiver only flashes twice. It will not flash again when the blue button is pressed until I disconnect/reconnect power to it.
My handheld seems ok. It flashes quickly when a single button is pressed. When pressing buttons 4+8 simultaneously, it flashes with the sequence: one long flash, then a repeating sequence of one long flash + two short flashes as long as the buttons are held.
I completed all the other steps, but with the same result. I did notice one difference to your instructions. My ET Lite Settings read: Menu - Settings - Reset Wireless Address. It does not have an option to select QuickTouch. Maybe that changes on a later firmware version? When I performed this step, the Receiver flashed 3 times when I plugged in the comm block, but I couldn't pair the handheld. When I pushed the blue button, it again flashed only twice. I've double checked the config - everything is correct.

My question is: Is there any way to determine which device is bad, the receiver or the handheld? I suspect the receiver, but it seems to be showing some life.
All feedback gratefully accepted. Thank you :)

Thank you LongDuck for posting the steps to reset the QuickTouch II. Unfortunately it didn't work on my QTII with EasyTouch Lite.
In step 1, my receiver only flashes twice. It will not flash again when the blue button is pressed until I disconnect/reconnect power to it.
My handheld seems ok. It flashes quickly when a single button is pressed. When pressing buttons 4+8 simultaneously, it flashes with the sequence: one long flash, then a repeating sequence of one long flash + two short flashes as long as the buttons are held.
I completed all the other steps, but with the same result. I did notice one difference to your instructions. My ET Lite Settings read: Menu - Settings - Reset Wireless Address. It does not have an option to select QuickTouch. Maybe that changes on a later firmware version? When I performed this step, the Receiver flashed 3 times when I plugged in the comm block, but I couldn't pair the handheld. When I pushed the blue button, it again flashed only twice. I've double checked the config - everything is correct.

My question is: Is there any way to determine which device is bad, the receiver or the handheld? I suspect the receiver, but it seems to be showing some life.
All feedback gratefully accepted. Thank you :)
call out to @ogdento - any thoughts on repair, or should I replace the receiver? Thanks.

Hey Paul,
The Menu > Settings > Wireless Address options isn't for the Quicktouch... it's only for the Easytouch handheld remote (the one with the same LCD screen as the outdoor board). The address settings for the quicktouch are set with Dip switches on the transmitter and receiver... the only setup options are Menu > Settings > Quicktouch, which are used to configure what the buttons do.

That said, testing the transmitter is easy if you have a cheap SDR (software defined radio) because you won't miss the button press in the 418 mhz range. I've only seen a few dead receivers and one was a dead radio chipset where the others were dead comm chips (that I replaced). I'd check the current draw of the receiver... if you power the card with 12vdc on the red/black comm connector (careful not to touch the data pins!), you can measure the current with a multimeter (just a matter of "inserting" your meter into the positive or negative supply path), or with a power supply that shows you the current draw. If it's drawing much more than ~75mA (I forget exactly what I got last time I measured one of these), it may have a bad comm chip.

-Tom

Reactions: paul999

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Paul,
The Menu > Settings > Wireless Address options isn't for the Quicktouch... it's only for the Easytouch handheld remote (the one with the same LCD screen as the outdoor board). The address settings for the quicktouch are set with Dip switches on the transmitter and receiver... the only setup options are Menu > Settings > Quicktouch, which are used to configure what the buttons do.

That said, testing the transmitter is easy if you have a cheap SDR (software defined radio) because you won't miss the button press in the 418 mhz range. I've only seen a few dead receivers and one was a dead radio chipset where the others were dead comm chips (that I replaced). I'd check the current draw of the receiver... if you power the card with 12vdc on the red/black comm connector (careful not to touch the data pins!), you can measure the current with a multimeter (just a matter of "inserting" your meter into the positive or negative supply path), or with a power supply that shows you the current draw. If it's drawing much more than ~75mA (I forget exactly what I got last time I measured one of these), it may have a bad comm chip.

-Tom
Hey Tom,
Thanks for your suggestions. I don't have an SDR or a 12vdc power supply to hand, but I did go back to basics and test for continuity on all 4 wires again. All good. I measured voltage on red/black at 17vdc. When I press the pairing button, the upper LED (RS485 receiver) flashes only twice, not three times. If I try to pair a second time, nothing flashes. Could the board be waiting on a response from the ET controller between flash 2 and 3? When I disconnect the comm plug, wait, and reconnect, the lower LED (RFRX/PROG) flashes 5 times. I can then press the pairing button, and again get two flashes from the RS485 LED. I'm thinking the board is bad.
I have other devices on the comm bus, including ScreenLogic wireless, IntelliChem / Chlor and the VS pump. They are all OK.
There are no dip switches on the QT II, but I did see an early FCC draft of the user guide that referenced dip switches, it appears the QT II remote may work with the older QT receivers.

Paul
IMG_1554.jpeg

ahh Paul, my mistake... I forgot you've got the QT2. I don't know what the leds will do on that receiver, but it sounds like you got it paired from longduck's instructions (see the manual, page 3: https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...uch/QuickTouch_II_Wireless_Remote_English.pdf) I didn't see any LED diagnostic info in the manual either.
Hi Tom
Unfortunately I can't pair it. I followed longduck's instructions, but I think the key is that the receiver LED only flashes twice, when it should flash 3 times. I'm not sure whether it's trying (and failing) to communicate over the RS485 bus during the 3-flash pairing procedure.

Hi Tom
Unfortunately I can't pair it. I followed longduck's instructions, but I think the key is that the receiver LED only flashes twice, when it should flash 3 times. I'm not sure whether it's trying (and failing) to communicate over the RS485 bus during the 3-flash pairing procedure.
I had this exact same problem. I ran brand new wiring just to confirm it wasn't the cable but same problem.

Out of desperation, instead of clicking the connection button the receiver, I held it down and at the same time held the 4 and 8 buttons on the remote. The RS485 light started flashing and I was able to pair!

Maybe it was dumb luck...but it worked! Someone smarter can try to explain why.

I had this exact same problem. I ran brand new wiring just to confirm it wasn't the cable but same problem.

Out of desperation, instead of clicking the connection button the receiver, I held it down and at the same time held the 4 and 8 buttons on the remote. The RS485 light started flashing and I was able to pair!

Maybe it was dumb luck...but it worked! Someone smarter can try to explain why.
I'm glad that worked for you. Wish I had thought of that before buying a new board :(