Aquapure 1400 keeps saying low salt.

robl45

Oct 27, 2007
Parkland, FL
My aquapure a couple of months ago or so said low salt so I put in a couple of bags of salt. It then read high salt for a little bit and then gradually dropped down and I assumed the problem was solved. 2 days later it was reading 1.8 which I knew wasn't right so I took the sensor out and the metal things were covered with whitish like grime. I cleaned them up and things have been fine until a week ago when it happened again. I cleaned the same grime off and now it just happened again and I again cleaned the grime off it. Is there something I can do to stop the sensor from getting coated with whatever whitish stuff is getting on it?

Thanks

How old is the sensor? Historically these have only lasted a few years but there is a newer model that is supposed to be better. And do you get any error codes, or just a low salt reading?

edit - New vs old sensors are pictured here: Jandy Aqua Pure 1400 error code 172

The sensor is old, 6 plus years I'm sure. I get error code 144 low salt. I just had to do it again now and clean it. The two side sensors were coated with slime or something so the sensor seems to be fine, I just don't know what is causing it to slime up like this. I added acid and the PH is around 7.5 right now as measured yesterday.

Is it correct to assume that your cell is also the same age? If so then you are lucky to have gotten that long out of them, that is far longer than I get and my pool is only open for about 4.5 months per year. How does your cell look? Your best course of action may be to replace the cell and it normally comes with the sensor as well. Or you can just buy the sensor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to manage your CSI to avoid scale. Keep it between -0.3 and 0. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

agree 100% however this sensor is filming over with whatever is getting on it daily now. I've had the house for almost 2 years and it ran solid for a year and a half now so what could be causing it to get this film/grime whatever it is on the sensor each day? I do have to go to work so I have limited time right now, but the PH is currently at 7.2. Is there a way to just bypass the sensor on these things? I know there is plenty of salt.

Even if I were to replace the sensor as I don't think its reading quite right, the new one will grime up like this one too. I think I'll try and take a picture of it tonight or tomorrow when I'm sure I'll have to clean it again.

Very high scale potential can develop scale rapidly. Some historical test results will help diagnose that. If you don't think it is scale what do you think know it is? Is it actually slimy? Or is it more white/tan crusty?

Picture of what sensor looked like before I cleaned it. It was reading 2.1 instead of 3.1. I was waiting until it stopped producing to take picture but since I'm home today. Figured I would clean it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20160909_105440.jpg
    20160909_105440.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 42
My aquapure a couple of months ago or so said low salt so I put in a couple of bags of salt.
Salt does not evaporate. The only way you would lose salt is to drain the pool, a leak, or when you splash or bring it out on your body. Whenever your system says the salt is low or high, you need to first curb the urge to correct it without a test first. Your sensor, when it gets the build up on it, will skew what the unit interprets as an accurate salt reading. That's not to say that cleaning will correct this every time. As stated above, those sensors are very problematic to say the least. You state that your sensor is 6+ years? That is great, it is also the exception, not the rule. More than likely, you are up for another soon, if not right now.

If your system had been working then all of a sudden, boom, your low on salt, be skeptical. Two bags may, or may not, have put your salt level too high for proper function. Yes it may be still functioning but the system tells the cell to come on based on IT'S results, and running the cell at higher salt levels will damage the cell. Now if your cell is also 6 years, you are probably ready for a new one of those too and that could be the reason for the trouble you are having. One thing i have learned from these units is that in a lot of cases, the code it gives you could not be farther from the real cause.

I recommend to customers that do not have a pool store locally, or one that they trust, to get their own salt tester. I DO NOT recommend the strip testers. Digital salt testers can be had for +/- $100.00 on line.

Here are a few...
Amazon.com: pool salt meter

That is all good information, but I am trying to figure out what is getting on the sensor that I have to clean off everytime. I am aware salt doesn't evaporate. However, it does go down when more water is added which is pretty common here in Florida when it rains daily. The pool also tends to end up filling up to the drain point and water leaves that way too while more rain comes in.

Salt does not evaporate. The only way you would lose salt is to drain the pool, a leak, or when you splash or bring it out on your body. Whenever your system says the salt is low or high, you need to first curb the urge to correct it without a test first. Your sensor, when it gets the build up on it, will skew what the unit interprets as an accurate salt reading. That's not to say that cleaning will correct this every time. As stated above, those sensors are very problematic to say the least. You state that your sensor is 6+ years? That is great, it is also the exception, not the rule. More than likely, you are up for another soon, if not right now.

If your system had been working then all of a sudden, boom, your low on salt, be skeptical. Two bags may, or may not, have put your salt level too high for proper function. Yes it may be still functioning but the system tells the cell to come on based on IT'S results, and running the cell at higher salt levels will damage the cell. Now if your cell is also 6 years, you are probably ready for a new one of those too and that could be the reason for the trouble you are having. One thing i have learned from these units is that in a lot of cases, the code it gives you could not be farther from the real cause.

I recommend to customers that do not have a pool store locally, or one that they trust, to get their own salt tester. I DO NOT recommend the strip testers. Digital salt testers can be had for +/- $100.00 on line.

Here are a few...
Amazon.com: pool salt meter

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.