TF100 Testing Confusion

Received the test kit Thursday and have been playing since.

Confused on a couple of things.
1) TA test: My chlorine is high. The test instructions include a note that says "In the presence of high Chlorine, initial color may be blue and shift to yellow. The test is still valid". What does this mean? It will not turn red? The change to blue is the amount of drops to record. Record the number of drops when it changes to yellow? Keep going until it eventually turns blue, yellow, and then red?

2) CYA test: See a couple of other threads on this one. So far, my kit doesn't have a standard like others have noted. It also doesn't include having sunlight as a requirement to read. Seems a little like an educated guess. Does anyone have any pictures of what "no longer seeing the black dot in the bottom of the tube" should look like?

Anyone have some helpful insight?

Received the test kit Thursday and have been playing since.

Confused on a couple of things.
1) TA test: My chlorine is high. The test instructions include a note that says "In the presence of high Chlorine, initial color may be blue and shift to yellow. The test is still valid". What does this mean? It will not turn red? The change to blue is the amount of drops to record. Record the number of drops when it changes to yellow? Keep going until it eventually turns blue, yellow, and then red?

2) CYA test: See a couple of other threads on this one. So far, my kit doesn't have a standard like others have noted. It also doesn't include having sunlight as a requirement to read. Seems a little like an educated guess. Does anyone have any pictures of what "no longer seeing the black dot in the bottom of the tube" should look like?

Anyone have some helpful insight?

Have you done the TA test yet? How did it look? I've never had mine be different than the original green and turning to red with the number of drops, so I'm not sure if yours reacted differently. But the main thing to keep in mind with the test is that you are looking to the color to change and add drops until the last drop causes no further color shift and subtract that last one from your count. Practice will give you the familiarity after time such that maybe you recognize that final color shift.

The CYA test is indeed subjective. Testing and experimenting has shown the test to be most accurate testing un full sun with your back to the sun. Because your eye gets trained on that dot, I've altered to filling the view tube to the different markers while not looking at the dot. For example, I might fill to the 80 mark then look into it for the dot. I still see it, so I look away from the dot and fill to the 70 mark and look again. I've found this helps me not imagine I'm seeing the dot.

Thanks for the reply AimeeH. I have done the TA test a few times and the results are similar.

The color changes from green to blue to yellow. This happens when Chlorine levels are high. My question is should I record when it turns blue, yellow, or keep going until it eventually turns red?

Nice tip on the CYA test. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.