FNSP 48 - Sand/DE coming out of jets

Jun 1, 2009
Hi everyone...luckily I found this great resource.

I have a FNSP 48 DE filter, and it has been doing fine until this weekend. I did a backwash first, and then when I went to add more DE in the skimmer, the DE started coming out of the jets. Now the bottom of the pool has DE or sand all over the bottom.

I disassembled the filter to clean and inspect the grids. I did not see any holes or tears in the grids. The only thing I did see is that at the top of several grids...the little plastic piece that fits into top manifold...are brittle and some have broken off. Would this be a likely cause of the DE coming out of the jets? Also, the internal air bleed assembly that comes out the top of the manifold has a hole in it. Is that supposed to have a hole on the end? Could this be a cause?

If anyone knows of any other reason, I sure would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

Any hole that allows the water to bypass the grids will allow DE in. The air bleed tube should have a mesh strainer on top of it. Pentair p/n 172855. If the broken plastic piece that fits into the manifold leaves a gap that exposes the inside of the manifold then that would allow DE through as well.

If you have a multiport it's also possible that the spider gasket inside has come out of track allowing some water to bypass the filter, but I think the other two causes are more likely.

Thanks for the information. Pretty much what I expected you'd say. I just remembered that our pool pump and filter is covered by our home warranty, so I have a call in for the pool guy to come out and take a look.

I'll update when he's finished.

Thanks,
Bruce

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.