Pearland Fall/ Winter Build

:thumbdown:NO! That is not what I wanted to hear :blah:

:rant:Mr PB don't you know there are MANY people waiting to see this pool built???? Lets get a move on!

I only wish this would work in real life.

Kim (no cheering on this one)

Winter's can be tough to get any kind of trade's work done. Most of these guys shutdown or severely cut back in the winter. I know the PB that did our pool basically took all of January and at least half of February off every year. One of the big plaster companies in this area doesn't do any new plaster jobs over the winter months (Dec-Feb) but only does repair/warranty work.

The question you need to ask is do you want the pool done or done right? Plastering in the winter time can be very tricky as you are subject to less than optimal weather conditions. I think some of the more seasoned plasterers would tell you that if the air temps drop too low, then you shouldn't plaster at all or else you risk an inferior plaster job. Applicators can compensate for bad weather with tenting of the pool and portable space heaters to increase the local air temps but it's just not an optimal approach.

Hang in there. Your pool build will last just a few months; your pool use, and the memories they generate, will last a lifetime...

Just curious but what is to cold to plaster? I have not heard of that concern. We live in Houston Tx area and today the low is 52 with a high is almost 70 tomorrow the high will be 80 and the low will be 60. Later this week we may have the low drop to 40 degrees.

Thanks

Just curious but what is to cold to plaster? I have not heard of that concern. We live in Houston Tx area and today the low is 52 with a high is almost 70 tomorrow the high will be 80 and the low will be 60. Later this week we may have the low drop to 40 degrees.

Thanks

I believe most plaster technical info would say you should not attempt to work with plaster when the air or substrate temperature is below 40F or else setup and cure times can take a lot longer. Given the weather in your area, temperature might not be the biggest issue to the plasterers but I have to say that I am terribly lazy once the air temps dip below 65F and much prefer to stay away from yard work when it's cold. I couldn't imagine slinging mud around when it's cold out even if paid to do so...

Good luck, hopefully the plastering is completed soon.

The plaster guys seem to be almost finished at lunch time.
Acid Wash(Wand wash) should be tomorrow. I will try to get some pictures up tonight.

One question the pool builder said because the are doing the "Wand Wash" and I guess the are removing the cream that we will only need to brush for one week and will be able to swim in about one week. Dose this sound right? Our pool will be diamond brite super blue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
6AA1D2F4-B023-46E7-B495-093BEBEA062A_zpszlpn27jg.jpg

The pool is full and the PB is just having the equipment installed and the lights and the return nozzles have not been installed yet.
The electrical contractor said that they add the lights after filling sometimes so I am a little less concerned about it.
On the picture front here is a picture of my youngest just wishing she can get in.

- - - Updated - - -

One more picture
We are very excited to be almost finished with the build.

So the pool is full of water. The PB put 4 3" puck of chlorine in the skimmer basket last Wednesday (I don't know what type.)
Here is a Picture

Here is a list of things that still need to happen.
My Taylor K-2006 Test Kit is due today.
The heads to cleaning system need to be installed.
The return Jets need to be installed.
The Heater needs to be installed.
The final City " Safety Inspection" needs to happen.
We have a tile that needs to be fixed.
The screen logics system needs to be installed and setup.

Right now we are running both pump almost 24 hrs a day. This dose not seem reasonable but maybe it is park of the start up cycle for the plaster. I am not sure.

I am hoping to post test results today. But I might not have enough sunlight to do the CYA test.
Should that be on this thread or another one.

Lets keep it all here so the whole story is here.

That is quite a bit of work still to be done. I hope it all goes well.

Do what your PB says to do. He holds the warranty card.

If they have not added any CYA do not even bother doing that test yet. I think they are hoping the tablets will take care of that. That will take a while. Once you get control of the pool we will work on that.

Run all of the other tests and post them here:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA (not this time though)

Kim:kim:

The pool is full and the PB is just having the equipment installed and the lights and the return nozzles have not been installed yet.
The electrical contractor said that they add the lights after filling sometimes so I am a little less concerned about it.
On the picture front here is a picture of my youngest just wishing she can get in.

- - - Updated - - -

One more picture
We are very excited to be almost finished with the build.

This is diamond brite super blue? I am really surprised to see how grey the base is. I thought super blue was a pure white base? Interested to see this color come to life once balanced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"This is diamond brite super blue? I am really surprised to see how grey the base is. I thought super blue was a pure white base? Interested to see this color come to life once balanced! "

Yeah the base is white but there is quite a bit of grey in the aggregate and that is making things look grayer than it actually is. While they were plastering the pool I went back to the picture of the sample and it dose match.

Although it is not balanced I am happy with water color of the full pool and I a curious to see if it is even bluer once it is balanced.

Here are the results of the water test.
Fill water ( from the kitchen sink vs the pipe tied in to the auto fill)

FC =.4
CC = .4
PH = 7.4
TA 120
CH 100

Pool
FC = .0 Never really turned pink after adding 10 scopes of the powder.
CC = .2 maybe ( the water was slightly pink)
PH = 8+ (looked pinker than any color on the comparator)
TA 60
CH 120

These may not be the most accurate as is my first time testing but hopefully close.
PB is taking care of the chemistry at this time. So I will not test again until he has transferred that over to me.

That is some pretty good fill water. It will be easy to balance.

You need to see if you can talk to your PB about the PH. That is the number one thing you want to control for long term "health" of you new plaster.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.