SLAMing for the first time

:wave: Welcome to TFP Motheresa

It is but not so much for bringing a pool up to SLAM level. What is the strength of the bleach you're going to be using ??
Have you adjusted the pH ??

Keep in mind your pool is a pretty decent size. 5 gallons of 8.25% bleach adds 20ppm of FC to your pool. What is your SLAM number and how much FC do you have in the water before this addition?

Once you start a SLAM the FC most likely won't be zero again, you'll be topping it off with fresh bleach frequently to bring it back up to that SLAM algae-killing level. THe more often you do that (even hourly at first) the faster the process will go.

(*You can swim safely up to your SLAM level....as long as you can see the bottom)

My pool pump was taken out by a lightning strike (down for about 10 days) plus LOTS of rain = algae!
CYA is 30, bleach is 8.25%

- - - Updated - - -

CYA is 30, SLAM number is 24??
FC is 5.
Good point about FC not going back down to original number after first SLAM, didn't think about that.
Hourly is not too much?

- - - Updated - - -

8.25% bleach
pH is 7.6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the correct SLAM FC number since my CYA is between 30 and 40? That chlorine/cya chart doesn't list it for a SWG pool. Should I use the chart for non-SWG pools in this case?
Also, when running my pump 24/7 while SLAMing, do I need to run it on the highest rpms (3250) or will a lower rpm work (like, 1725).

Go with 40ppm CYA, so you want to try and MAINTAIN your FC at 16 as best you can. SWCG on or off at your discretion but off when doing the OCLT.

If your pump ever dies on you again remember you can always make a run to the store and grab some bleach and use your brush to mix it around. Sump pump would be easier if you have one handy. It's one way to keep the green away until you're up and running again. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.