Trying to balance after conversion

pepsiholic

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Fairmont, WV
I just finished my conversion yesterday and changed the sand.

I added 3 lbs of cya last night and it has completely disolved in less than 24 hours. Am going to wait a day or 2 to test the levels.

Here are my numbers:

FC 9
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 130

Does my TA seem to high?

Also, should I go ahead and let my clorine drift down a bit now?

I just have my water looking so nice, I don't want to mess anything up.

Does my TA seem to high? No, let it alone unless it causes some issues later....it probably won't

Also, should I go ahead and let my clorine drift down a bit now? Yes, because you put in enough CYA to get to 30ppm, you can let the FC stay between 2-4ppm....just don't let it slip lower than that

I just have my water looking so nice, I don't want to mess anything up.

I followed your other thread. Very good work. :lol:

I finished my conversion this past Tuesday and added 3 lbs of cya.

Tested today and here's what I have:

FC 5.5
CC .5 (added a little bleach to see if that would go away)
TC 6.0
PH 7.5
TA 110
CYA 40

I look to be on the right track :whoot: , so thanks everyone for all your help!

Attachments

• 214.bmp
    254.1 KB · Views: 149
Everything looks perfect including that pool water! Just stunning! 8)

ok, here we go...

Last Tuesday I added 3 lbs of cya after my conversion. I waited 5 days to test it and got a reading of 40 (because I was using pucks at the beginning of the conversion before I found this site.)

We have had a lot, and I mean a LOT of rain and I noticed I wasn't holding chlorine during the day well at all, losing 4-5 ppms, during the day. :shock: I did the overnight test and things seemed fine. I checked my cya levels just to see, and I was barely measuring 25. Could that be due to all the rain? The pool was up several inches. I went ahead and added 1.75 lbs of cya and will test again on Saurday. Does this seem normal?

as always, THANKS! :)

That sounds like more of a change in CYA than I would expect. It would take more than 18" of rain to lower CYA from 40 to 25 in a 4' deep pool.

Perhaps you did the test in different lighting conditions? The CYA test is designed to be read outdoors on a sunny day, but without any direct sunlight on the viewing tube.

Thanks for the feedback :)

The lighting conditions may have been different, I did do them both out side on my back porch, it is covered, so I wasn't in direct light. Today was a mix of sun and clouds and I can't remember what the last time I tried was.

I may have been overly anxious to get a result the first time...lol..so I will wait until Saturday and test it again to see where I'm at. I didn't add that much so even if I over shot it a touch I think I should be fine.

My pool is in sun from daybreak to dark, with no trees for shade at all. So we will wait and see. Thanks for all your help Jason :-D

Here are my new numbers 2 weeks after my conversion, I am having trouble getting my cya where I want it.

FC 5
CC 0
TC 5
PH 7.6
TA 80
CH 80
CYA 35

I have added 4.145 lbs of stabilizer since my conversion. The first round I added 3 lbs. I think my first reading of about 40 was wrong, I tested again and only got a reading of about 25. I added 1.75 lbs more last Tuesay, took a reading today and got a reading of about 35. My pool is in sun from daylight until dark. What should I be aiming for?

I'm thinking my pool holds more water than the paperwork says it does. It says I hold about 12,900 gallons of water, but after adding reading other peoples specs on here with the same size pool, I'm thinking closer to 13,500, does that sound about right?

When I use the pool caculator to figure out how much to add at 12,900, it never seems to be quite enough and I usually have to add a little more.

Thank you so much for helping me get beautiul clear water, now if I can just figure out this CYA...lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Having CYA at 35 is just fine. However, because it is early in the season, I would raise CYA to around 50 right now, you don't need to be exact but around there. Over the course of the summer the CYA level will fall. if it falls starting from 35 it will get too low before fall. If it falls starting at 50 you should be fine for the entire swim season.

The CYA level always falls over the course of the season because of splash out, backwashing (if you backwash), overflow, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.