Air bubbles from return jet, temporarily

Jul 11, 2016
Apple Valley, MN
So, this is my first post, but I've been reading this site since I bought a house with a pool last summer and it's been absolutely invaluable. Can't believe the amount of money I wasted and bad advice I received at the pool store before finding TFP.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the following is normal- when I shut off the pump and remove the cover from the basket filter to clean the basket, the water in the basket starts to drain and I hear loud gurgling noises. I assume at this point air is entering the sand filter. The noise stops after a few minutes.

After cleaning, I put the basket back in, fill with water, put the cover back on making sure it has a good seal. I turn the pump back on (filter mode) and everything works except one of my return jets spits out a good amount of air bubbles for 2 to 3 minutes.

After that 2 or 3 minutes, everything settles down, no more air bubbles and everything seems to be running clean. Just wondering if this is something to be concerned about, or if all systems work this way.

Thanks!

you are hearing gurgling because once you open the lid to the pump water back flows from the filter back into the pump down the suction line, also once you take the lid off you introduce air to the system so when you start your pump if you have an air relief on your filter open that until water shoots out, otherwise its going to work itself out through the returns

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.