DE In Pool

skygremlin

Apr 20, 2012
Orange County, CA
I’m noticing a lot of DE in my pool. I pulled apart the filter about a month ago for it's normal cleaning and ran water inside each of the screens, and didn’t see any holes or leaks…

One thing I haven’t replaced in quite a while is the little mesh / sock thing on top of the tubes inside the filter - Pic attached.. Can DE get thru that? The pic is from the first time cleaning after moving into the house.. It does NOT look like this now. But I only think I replaced it once.

If not any ideas on where to start troubleshooting where DE is getting out of the filter and into the pool?

Also make sure that the manifold screws are tightly snug. It will move freely if you don't make sure the grids are in the slits completely and manifold is pushed down almost completely while tightening these two wing nut screws

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Thanx for the reply.. I usually pull it apart every 12 - 14 month's. But might have to earlier this time.. I'll start with replacing the air bleeder. I took a look at the O ring on the tube where the manifold connects. That looks ok. I usually take that out and look at it

What do you mean by
You might also want to check for the integrity of either your push/pull valve or the multiport valve

What do you have as your valve to control the flow of water in between the filter and the pump? U can take a pic n posit it here

I don't have a good one... Will take one tonight. It's a valve that controls the flow to pump, A second pipe for cleaning that empty's out to sewer, and I believe one more pipe as an empty - thats routes water to our curb.. A multi routing connection with a toggle I push then spin clockwise (Only clockwise from what I've been told).. Will try to get a pick tonight...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
He's referring to the spider gasket inside but it's also a good idea if you're doing that to do the seals on the shaft. I had to do mine as it's outside unprotected and after a decade of use enough dirt/grit got in there the handle was getting to be a bear to rotate.

Youtube show and tell: - - > Google

Not sure if this is the right kit for your valve but gives you an idea: Hayward SP715 Multiport Valve O-ring Repair Kit - APCK1034 | Ace Pools

Yes thank you kiss4afrog. I was referring to the spider gasket. And hes also right to check these shaft o-rings as well. They usually last a few years. I've seen some last 10 years, while I've seen some last only 5 days. It all depends on how the valve is operated properly or not as well as years of erosion from water flow/dirt getting in there. It's very typical that you have to replace these o-rings and gaskets every 5 or so years to maintain operability. If the handle is loose and "too easy" to operate, check the shaft coil for strength/ corrosion

Hey guys quick update - Finally got the gasket installed the other night... So far seems to have helped..

I could only find 1 store in the area that had it - When I got there I found out they had the last 2 numbers of the part switched the right one was out but will be in stock the next day...

Opened up the valve... The original gasket wasn't ripped or torn... Actually seemed "ok".... But it was stuck inside the groves of the underside of the handle... I was able to get it out, then realized I had to at least wedge the new one in to place the handle back on. The handle itself is not the easiest to turn already and honestly forgot to really investigate that...

Screwed it back on and fired her up... So far seems to be working as expected now... No DE in pool or spa... Or it's so small I don't notice it... I'm still in the process of cleaning up all the DE that was shot back so the water is a little foggy / dirty white yet... Will do some more work on it this weekend..

I have a few other issues to deal with(few bubbles in pool fill jets, auto filter controller seems to be running longer than set time, and anti freeze randomly starts)... But I have priorities on the "dad list" so we'll open up new threads in the near future..

Appreciate the advice - thanx

If the handle is hard to turn there isn't much to investigate. It's likely dirt and or grit between the shaft and the cover.
If you take the top off and disassemble it and clean it up it might work fine without replacing the O rings. For the trouble I'd replace them but maybe just cleaning and then lightly lubing them up with some silicone grease will take care of the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.