Liquid Chlorine adding salt to pool

Oct 8, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
We have been successfully maintaining our pool through out this summer using using liquid chlorine at 10% and muriatic acid. I have Taylor test kit and use it faithfully. I was talking a friend that is in the pool maintenance business and told be that adding liquid chlorine adds salt to the water and can cause salt levels to be too high which can be corrosive. He is recommending a Taylor Test kit K1766. I do not have a SWG.

My question is do I really need to be concerned about this?

Thanks!

No,

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) in chlorinating liquid or bleach, there is also around 8-9 ppm salt. When the chlorine gets used/consumed, there is another 8-9 ppm salt for a total of 17 ppm salt.

That means that all chlorine pools (except pools with SWG) have rising salt,

Will that sal become a problem. Generally no. Most folks salt will never get above 2000 or so. But you probably won't taste it till its above 6000. Ocean water is about 35000.

Harm the pool. If you have soft rock around the pool ----- maybe if it gets high enough. I would be much more concerned with ph and your total saturation index.

We have been successfully maintaining our pool through out this summer using using liquid chlorine at 10% and muriatic acid. I have Taylor test kit and use it faithfully. I was talking a friend that is in the pool maintenance business and told be that adding liquid chlorine adds salt to the water and can cause salt levels to be too high which can be corrosive. He is recommending a Taylor Test kit K1766. I do not have a SWG.

My question is do I really need to be concerned about this?

Thanks!
You may want to look in on this thread:
I'm getting RO done this week

OP is also in AZ - climate is relevant, in terms of likelihood of eventually developing certain types of problems with your pool water.

Taylor K-1766 test kit.
My water was at 4500ppm after 6 years of a drain/refill and prior to adding my SWCG. Yes I could taste the salt. Now at 3500ppm not so much.
I suspect using more of the lower % liquid raises salt faster.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.