Can I let the pump motor run 24/7?

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
We sold house/pool, and I'm maintaining the pool until closing in 2 weeks. Our pump motor is old (original equipt about 15 years old,), and this am when I went to turn it on, the motor didn't engage, and I heard a humming sound. I immediately turned it off, and tried it again, and it started ok. I then turned it on and off a few times and there was no problem. So now I'm nervous about leaving the pump off at night, is it ok just to let it run all the time? Thanks, Ed

Yeah, they are pretty durable and designed to run for a long time. You'll suck up a lot of electricity and could maybe fix it cheaper by replacing the start capacitor.

If you are electrically clueless as I am, you might know a friend to help.....it is a pretty easy job and that is likely to be the cause.

Let me change my mind.....for two weeks of run time, I would let the pump run and tell the new owners. It is not an expensive fix if that's the cause.

My father's single speed pump has run non-stop every Summer for the past 15 years and is just now showing signs of needing replaced, so yes it should be just fine.

Thanks for all the replies. The start capacitor looks like a fairly easy fix, there's a couple of nice youtube videos on it. Am sure I could do it, but why risk a bigger problem at this point. I like the idea of just letting it run for now.

Thanks for all the replies. The start capacitor looks like a fairly easy fix, there's a couple of nice youtube videos on it. Am sure I could do it, but why risk a bigger problem at this point. I like the idea of just letting it run for now.
Usually, when a start capacitor goes bad, the motor will never start. If it is intermittent, it sounds more like bad bearings. Is the motor louder than normal?

Motor doesn't seem louder than normal. Maybe it was just a one time thing, but not likely. Problems never seem to go away once they start :) Just going to leave it running for now and hope for the best. I was originally thinking it was like when a starter in a car goes bad, the brushes or whatever get worn, and you can rap the starter with a hammer for while to get it going.

I was originally thinking it was like when a starter in a car goes bad, the brushes or whatever get worn, and you can rap the starter with a hammer for while to get it going.
That analogy sounds more like bad bearings in a pump motor. They get a little rusted/frozen and a wack with a board can sometimes free them and get it going again.

We have been running our (older) pump continuously all summer long. I had intended to get a new variable-speed pump for the summer but ended up being too busy to follow through. I now intend to replace it at the start of the 2017 season. Anyhow, you're fine running it 24/7. The electric bill will be a bit of a shock but that's to be expected.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.