I should know better!

PAGirl

TFP Guide
Jun 5, 2012
Central PA
My son had loosened to lid on the pump basket the other day, (one drawback to TFP, the water is so clear the basket looks empty. Hubby thought the same before.) so I closed the valve in the hose so I could reposition it, as it was dripping. Well, I briefly turned the pump on before realizing I forgot to open the valve back up. It was the inlet side. Now the pump is very loud. Is it ruined? It's an Intex Krystal Klear and it was purchased in 2012.

I'll have my husband look at it when he gets home. I turned it off. But it's definitely the pump making a loud noise, not just the pump basket, etc. It's much louder than the noise it makes when the basket has air.

It's sucking air from somewhere....probably the lid. Stop the pump, open the lid, check for debris around the lid and lip. Fill basket with water and replace/reset lid. Make sure valve are in correct position, then restart pump.
Sami

It usually makes a different noise when there is just air in the basket. I had already opened it and tightened things. The air is all out of the basket now, (it always has a bit of air when you take the lid off, then it works it's way out.) It's definitely something with the motor. I back washed earlier. It's still moving the water well, and the return has full strength. It ran for a few hours, still working, but still loud....

https://vimeo.com/179592241

It's sucking air from somewhere....probably the lid. Stop the pump, open the lid, check for debris around the lid and lip. Fill basket with water and replace/reset lid. Make sure valve are in correct position, then restart pump.
Sami

I think you were right, after all! I got a little worried that the ump ran dry for a while when I remembered my son had originally thought the pump basket was empty and took the lid off. It got put back crooked. I noticed it leaking and couldn't get it removed. Had the hubby redo it for me. No leaks. The pump was still making that noise for a while, then it was more intermittent, and eventually stopped all together.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It was 65 the other day. I was too depressed (and busy) to look, lol. It had been raining for a few days. I know I probably already have a bit of algae starting. I opened the season this year with a bit because I did not cover it last year. It gave me some real life SLAM experience, lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.