Auto Pilot vs. Pentair Intellichlor SWG

Yabruf

May 29, 2016
Gilbert/AZ
So I'm in the middle of a pool build and I open one of the parts boxes left by the contractors. It says Auto Pilot on it. It turns out I got an Auto Pilot SWG with my pool build package. I have a Pentair pump and DE filter and just assumed the SWG was Pentair as well but its not.

Does anyone have any experience with an Auto Pilot SWG? I was thinking of taking it back to the PB and exchanging it for an Intellichlor but I don't want to have to dish out any more cash if it is unnecessary.

Any input, feedback is much appreciated!!

In other words, if you don't have automation keep the AutoPilot SWG. Those are top of the line SWG's.

The Pentair SWG's need automation to get the fine control settings that the AutoPilot has without automation.

Yabruf,

Your signature says,, Pentair IntelliTouch w/SWG, so I suspect something is wrong. Just ask your PB if this is a mistake, because my guess it is. If it is not a mistake, ask the PB if the IntelliTouch will control the AutoPilot, maybe it will but I doubt it...

Your signature also says.. Ozone w/ instant frog mineral pack... These systems get really bad press here, so you might want to do some searches on what they can do and what they can't do, before having them installed.

Your signature does not say what type of pump.. not necessary, just curious.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would say it depends. If your package includes a Pentair IntelliChlor IC60 then that is a 2lb/day chlorine gas cell. If the Autopilot has an RC52 cell, then that's equivalent.

My point is, you need to make sure you're getting what you were promised and what you paid for.

Thanks for the feedback on the AutoPilot SWG. I feel much better knowing that I wasnt given some cheap knock off SWG.

My initial confusion on the specs was because I thought the pentair pump/filter included the SWG. So I was thinking AutoPilot was the Pentagon brand. But now the setup makes sense and I see how the different components work to gather.

If I recall correctly, the Autopilot can be controlled by Pentair automation. Let me check...

We do not typically recommend interfacing an AutoPilot system with third party automation systems as you'll disable some of the main features and benefits that make AutoPilot different from the rest of the market. One of these features is temperature compensation which automatically adjusts the output of the system based on water temperature increases and decreases.

If your package includes a Pentair IntelliChlor IC60 then that is a 2lb/day chlorine gas cell. If the Autopilot has an RC52 cell, then that's equivalent.

Another factor to consider is the cost of replacement cells. The Pentair IC60 cell has an integrated control board so you are replacing electronics in addition to the cell. A quick Google Shopping search shows prices of $699.99 and $724.00 for the replacement cell. The RC52 can currently be purchased for around $400 after a factory rebate.

Thanks for the feedback on the AutoPilot SWG. I feel much better knowing that I wasnt given some cheap knock off SWG.

AutoPilot is a US made unit (in St. Petersburg, FL) and they are the oldest US manufacturer of salt chlorine generators.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.