Advice on what's wrong with my cleaner, suggest replacement

JasonA

Jun 3, 2009
Just found this forum today. I have about a 30K gallon concrete diving pool with lots of dirt on the bottom at the moment. I did have a Phantom pressure side cleaner, which worked really well for... 12 months. Now apparently it would cost $250-300 to fix. :grrrr:

Anyway, I tried one of those no-name ebay suction cleaners. Looks about like a Hayward SunRay. It works right when the pump turns on, but stops working within a minute. I can't figure out why this might be. When I first set it up it ran well for a day or two. Nothing is clogged that I can see, although the cleaner does choke on debris easily.

So first, anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with my cheapo cleaner?

Second, suggestions for either a suction or pressure cleaner that will work and KEEP working for a good period of time even if left in the pool all the time? I do have a booster pump. My biggest problem is dirt, but certain times of the year I do get a lot of other debris. Poolcleaner 4x? Hayward Navigator? Polaris 280?

I think you'll get a pretty strong vote for the 280 here. I agree with that. I'm not a fan of the Phantom, Barracuda Mars, Jandy Ray Vac or Letro Legend (although a lot of people use the legend and like it).

As for the suction cleaner, check to be sure all your above water connections (along with the hoses that are on top of the water) are tight. A small suction leak between hoses can cause your pump to lose prime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.