Automatic Cover Comparison and Reviews

Aug 19, 2016
Washington DC
Hi everyone,
Newbie to the formum and pool ownership. Just bought a house with a big 1970's rectangular pool. It has a mid '80s Save-T Cover II Motor and a Cover Pools Tube, Rod, brackets etc.
The tube that holds the rolled up cover fabric broke. (only bought the house two weeks ago!!!) so I am looking at options. I called the company that has always worked on the cover and they quoted me about $1400 to repair but said the parts are no longer made so they would have to McGyver something with some new parts and pulling some parts off of old units they have. Plus if they run into troubles during the install my price could go up if it requires more labor or additional parts. They also quoted me a new Cover Pool Save-T 3 (new motor, tube, and everything except the fabric cover --mine is still good) for $4705.

I had a couple of other companies come out and none of them were willing to try to replace the tube/rod because they said they couldn't get parts. I got similar quotes to install new systems minus the fabric. I've been quoted several brands by contractors and am trying to figure out what is the best-- Automatic pool cover, Cover Pools Save T-3 and Cover star. As between these any view as to which one is best if I decide to upgrade the entire system? I have not seen much on line in the way of reviews or comparisons.

Thanks!

The numbers of automatic pool covers on here will not give you a meaningful sample to get a feel for quality. That said, our Coverstar has been fairly reliable. One pulley broke after a year and the cover wouldn't open. Then our fancy Wi-Fi switch broke. Our installer replaced the pulley and I troubleshot the switch and replaced with a a standard cover contact switch. I feel good about our cover for what it's worth. When the switch died I had to manually open the cover by buying a breaker bar adapter for $75 and some elbow grease so we could swim while I'll figured out the issue.
I'd install what your installer feels is best based on his experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.