IntelliChlor IC60 Keeps Blowing Fuse

Why

Aug 19, 2016
Cincinnati
My IntelliChlor IC60 blew it's fuse today, it had a 10 amp 250V fuse in it previously. I couldn't find a slow blow fuse so I settled with using a 10 amp 250V fast-acting fuse as a replacement which it immediately blew once turned on. I tried another fast-acting 10 amp which it also blew. The cell just entered it's second year and I have it serviced regularly. I've seen some talk here (Pentair Power Cell Fuse) that the IC60 should be using a 12 amp fuse and not a 10 amp. So what I'm wondering is it blowing fuses because I tried using the wrong fuse or is it a bigger problem with the cell itself? I've seen an alarming number of people who are complaining about fuses being blown similar to the issue I've been experiencing and was wondering if it is a known wide spread issue with newer IntelliChlors? Also would anyone happen to know where I can get the right fuse for the IC60?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

IC60 is not big in my area, but we manage three pools that we have installed IC60 on using standard power center/fuse setup with no issues. Your cell probably has an issue. I would call Pentair before installing a 12 amp fuse. 10 amp is what comes in the power center and what they sell as a replacement for all IC20, IC40, and IC60.

I had an IC40 which kept blowing fuses. Finally I figured out it is time to replace the IC40 cell. Once I replaced a new IC40 cell, there is no fuse blowing.

My IntelliChlor IC60 blew it's fuse today, it had a 10 amp 250V fuse in it previously. I couldn't find a slow blow fuse so I settled with using a 10 amp 250V fast-acting fuse as a replacement which it immediately blew once turned on. I tried another fast-acting 10 amp which it also blew. The cell just entered it's second year and I have it serviced regularly. I've seen some talk here (Pentair Power Cell Fuse) that the IC60 should be using a 12 amp fuse and not a 10 amp. So what I'm wondering is it blowing fuses because I tried using the wrong fuse or is it a bigger problem with the cell itself? I've seen an alarming number of people who are complaining about fuses being blown similar to the issue I've been experiencing and was wondering if it is a known wide spread issue with newer IntelliChlors? Also would anyone happen to know where I can get the right fuse for the IC60?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Why,

Pentair puts in a slow-blow fuse for a reason. The in-rush current when you first turn the unit on may be high for a brief moment, and they don't want the fuse to react (blow) during that time. If this were my unit, I'd replace the 10 amp fuse with a 12 amp slow-blow fuse and try it again. My gut feeling is that the IC60 is bad and will blow the 12 amp fuse just as soon as you turn it on. If it works, having a 12 amp fuse will not have any impact on the safety of the circuit. There is just not that much difference between the two fuses.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.