New Build in NE Florida

ddjax

Aug 15, 2016
St Johns, FL
Hello All! Getting ready to start a new IG pool build in Jacksonville, FL. This will be our first pool and TFP has been a terrific resource so far. It took us a while to interview a number of PB in our area but we finally settled on one we're comfortable with. Same PB did pools for a couple of friends plus they gave me contact info for a couple other previous customers that we were able to go visit to see their work. Local family business for about the past 30 plus years. They do most of the work in-house with few sub-contractors other than plasterer and electric. Currently waiting on county permitting which could be a couple more weeks. In the meantime I thought I would throw out the details of the build and welcome any feedback.

Design: Freeform shape (No spa)
Size: Roughly 30 x 20 at the longest and widest points), approximately 400sq ft. PB estimates about 12K gallons
Depth: 3.5 to 5.5
Shell: 5500 Shotcrete , Steel Reinforced
Interior Finish: CLI Sunstone Pearl pebble (Blue Pearl color)
Tile: 6"x6" waterline, 2"x6" trim caps on steps (not sold on the trim caps yet so those are TBD)
Deck: Pavers, Tremron Stonehurst (Color still TBD)
Equipment:
- Pentair Cartridge Filter
- Pentair Intelliflo VS pump
- Pentair Intellichlor SWG
- Hayward Pool Vac cleaner with designated line
U3 Skimmer
3 - 1" directional eyeball returns
2x Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights with controller
Maintenance equip: Telescopic pole, net, brush, vacuum head and test kit
Water Feature: 1 concrete scupper fountain bowl
Screen enclosure 18/14, Mansard roof, two 4ft doors (one on each side)

I plan to have the electrician also add additional receptacles on the rear corners of the deck inside the enclosure. Where I can add them I'm pretty sure will depend on the specific electrical codes but based on my research it looks like I should be OK at both back corners at least since I have more than 6' of deck between the water and the back of the deck. Aside from this, the only other things I've upgraded so far are the VS pump and the LED lights. So there it is for now! Looking forward to sharing the progress here once it gets started. All feedback is welcome. Thanks!

Sounds great. My build was similar in size. If you can get him to drop some cash off, I would consider forging the vacuum. Leave the designated line for use with a manual vac. But in regard to the vacuum itself, he is probably paying $200 to $300 and I would rather save that $ and get a robotic cleaner in the $500 to $600 range. Up to you but I sure wish I did that. I had the option too.

Congrats, some suggestions if I may?
1. Speaking from experience. Put in a double door on one of the sides. I only had one door and ended up putting in a double door and another single door on the opposite side. I should have listened to my wife:eek:
2. Plan on plumbing electrical and water for a future summer kitchen.
3. Plan on adding solar and heat pump in your equipment pad.
4. Make sure that you have a very large equipment pad.
5. Put in water spigots in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
6. Put in electrical outlets in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
7. Go with a large outdoor space as possible. We have 1800sq ft of pavers and we wish we did a larger space. You will be quite surprised how much room tables chairs and lounges take up.
8. Run conduits for speaker wires if you plan on wired speakers.
Look at the 3 links in my signature bar for ideas. Post lots of pics:kim:

I'm a little challenged for space since my backyard is a sort of a reverse pie shape. The deck you see in the rendering is maxed out to the allowable setbacks so it's as big as I can go. It won't be huge but it should be comfortable for some basic furniture and a grill. As much as I'd love to do an outdoor kitchen I don't really have the space unless it was pretty small.

Here are a few shots...

PB rendering

Pool diagram

Google earth view

Photo

From back fence

dd,

I agree with Matt on the cleaner. Pump powered cleaners are like rotary dial phones, while Robots are more like today cell phones. You won't find many people that have converted to robot cleaner who would ever go back to a pump powered cleaner.

Get a Robot.. you can thank me later.. :kim:

Regards,

Jim R.

dd,I agree with Matt on the cleaner. Pump powered cleaners are like rotary dial phones, while Robots are more like today cell phones. You won't find many people that have converted to robot cleaner who would ever go back to a pump powered cleaner.Get a Robot.. you can thank me later.. :kim:Regards,Jim R.
Any particular robot you would recommend?

So after many delays with county permitting, PB scheduling and Hurricane Matthew we are finally underway! the dig was actually started BEFORE Matthew arrived but the PB team did a pretty strong job of prepping it prior to the storm so there was little impact and they were able to finish the dig Monday. They got the rebar finished yesterday. Inspection was scheduled for today and they plan to shoot the shell tomorrow. Definitely staying home from work to watch!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are some pics of the pool finish, pavers and waterline tile. Hoping that the waterline tile will tie in well with the water color of the Blue Pearl pebble finish.

Here is the paver and pool finish combo from another pool in the area but with different waterline tile than ours

They shot the shell today. I took the day off from work to watch the Shotcrete process... pretty impressive. This team of guys has been working together for 20+ years and it showed. Definitely the most fun part of the build to watch so far. They showed up early this morning around 6:30 and had it all completed by about 1:30. That's including an hour or so they lost because they sent the first cement truck back to the plant (mix wasn't they way they wanted it for the pump). Looking much more like a pool now :D

They sent the first truck back?????? How awesome is that!!!!!!!! WOW! If only more would do that.

Have you started "bonding" with your pool aka watering it? It will help with the curing process.

Did they have any questions, concerns, ideas they wanted to ask you about?

Sure makes it real when it looks like that!

Kim:kim:

Both the PB and the Shotcrete company guys said watering it wasn't really necessary but had no problem with it if I wanted to do it. I'm planning to spray it down a couple of times a day anyway. Never thought of it as "bonding", pretty sure my wife thinks I already have an unhealthy attachment to it, LOL! Several of the people on TFP have already been great with answering questions that I had. One thing I'm getting ready to do is speak to the Electricians about adding additional outlets around the paver deck and another up high on my porch for a TV, any rough idea of typical avg cost per outlet? I'm sure it probably varies with location but just curious.

Don't forget a light by the equipment pad if you do not have an outside light that will shine on it already.

No idea how much each one would cost.

Kim:kim:

Wish I would have thought about that...really tired of using the flashlight function on my iPhone...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.